What's new
What's new

Is this cleaner safe to use on my lathe?

Nathan114312

Plastic
Hi I am not sure if anyone here can answer this but didn't know where else to ask. I am taking my lathe somewhat apart and it is very very Greasy like grease you have to scrub to get off your hands. I used a spray can of engine degreaser which works fine with some work. But it doesn't last longer (the can) and it's pretty expensive. I have 1/4 barrel of chlorinated alkaline cleaner in the corner of my shop and I looked it up online and it is a industrial cleaner pretty serious stuff. Would that work as a good degreaser to clean my lathe. Or would it hurt the lathe, or would it work better to just buy some engine degreaser. I just thought because the stuff was industrial and stuff it would be a good cleaner. Sorry for the long post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Alkaline Cleaner, Size 55 gal., Container Type DrumRecommended Dilution range from .05 Percent to 2 Percent, Color Clear, Fragrance Ammonia, Contains Trade Secret, VOC Content 0.0050, pH 9.5, Flash Point None.For Use On Labware, Ceramics, Stainless Steel, Filter Membranes, Glass"

Are you really in Algeria? If not Purple Degreaser from the auto parts store works well, or some kerosene (parafin) and a pile of clean rags

Will the "Purple Degreaser" work well if you get it in the ways where you can not remove it?
Sort of like the high alkaline mentioned?
I tend to like WD-40 as a degreaser on ways and chucks. Kerosene or other light oils also work well.
Certainly we use "Industrial purple" a lot but not on ways and flush it afterwards on machined surfaces with Tide and then oil based.
It cuts wet carbide grind leftovers oh-so fast but I make my people wear a filtered mask when using it and I am surely not a safety nut.
Yes, serious stuff and it will etch/corrode parts if you do not flush it all away.
Bob

Zep 505 works pretty well. There's also a Simple Green product (that's not green) that is an electronics degreaser. Haven't seen it recently, and I'm out. Works well on grease and some coolant stains. (Used machine, so I don't know the specifics on what coolant was used...)

Chip

scrubbing bubbles bathroom tile cleaner works good but it will soak in and cause rust on parts assembled so stuff should be taken apart or dont spray on assembled parts
not sure whats in it but it does clean oil and grease and dried coolant good

Hi I am not sure if anyone here can answer this but didn't know where else to ask. I am taking my lathe somewhat apart and it is very very Greasy like grease you have to scrub to get off your hands. I used a spray can of engine degreaser which works fine with some work. But it doesn't last longer (the can) and it's pretty expensive. I have 1/4 barrel of chlorinated alkaline cleaner in the corner of my shop and I looked it up online and it is a industrial cleaner pretty serious stuff. Would that work as a good degreaser to clean my lathe. Or would it hurt the lathe, or would it work better to just buy some engine degreaser. I just thought because the stuff was industrial and stuff it would be a good cleaner. Sorry for the long post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chlorinated alkaline cleaner, Chlorinated means chlorine added, generally for disinfecting food processing equipment, may work ok but there is more to know before proceeding, alkaline cleaners are water based, there are many compounds to created alkalinity (pH above 7), some would be ok for hand cleaning (IE:sodium metasilicate based) others not so much (IE: Caustic based). To prevent rusting select an alkaline cleaner with a pH above 10.5, keeping pH above 10.5 will prevent rusting of steel, dilute chemical per recommendations, use HOT water, the hotter the better as the parts are most likely room temperature and will quickly cool your cleaning solution. Chemical reactions double for 10 degree C rise in temperature so warming the parts up a bit will also greatly help maintain some heat. Finish by wiping dry and then coating with rust preventative (WD-40 works well), rinsing can be by-passed with many cleaners as the concentration remaining on the surface is negligible. Others may require rinsing due to the alkaline salts or hard water stains from your water. If rinsing is used flash rust will start to occur immediately as the part dries. Suggest spraying with WD40 while still wet or use rust inhibitor in rinse water.

We discovered greased lightening by accident...estate sale find...stuff is stinking magic!

Does not have nasty smells and attacks grease well.

Price is odd at lowes.

9 bucks for 1 gallon or about 27 bucks out the door for 5.

Get a garden sprayer and use it full strength.

Get a second sprayer and mix a batch of weak dawn dish soap to use as rinse.

Spray GL on and let it soak then scrub with brush and rinse with dawn.

Repeat until clean.

Have some "solveoil" a sprayer with 10 to 1 solvent to oil mix to spray on any bare metal when finished for the day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back