What's new
What's new

Cleaning up knurling?

sandiapaul

Titanium
Anyone have a method for this? I'd like to get rid of the staining/discoloration on some knurled pieces on a Wade 8a I'm restoring. I've tried wire brushes(by hand only) and soaks in an ultrasonic cleaner with no decent results.

Thanks!

I used a 8" rotary brush with fine brass (or bronze?) wires. Soaking in oven cleaner (like Easy Off) or lye can help too. Sandblasting will ruin the finish.

I second the rotary brush, had mine in a drill press. I cleaned up several that were pretty rough with rust. Just keep working up and down and diagonal. They cleaned up nice.

The secret to using a rotary wire brush without ruining things is to use one with very fine wire similar to a carding brush used in rust bluing for firearms. A wheel with coarse wires can round off the sharp edges and ruin the knurling.

You make no mention of the type of staining. Is it rust, coolant, oil? If rust, have you tried evaporust? Be forewarned that higher carbon steels may come out a bit darker from a bath in evaporust. For coolant & oil staining, have you tried the various purple alkaline cleaners? Along with wire brushing?

Second the purple cleaner for dirt and evaporust for the rust.

I also use those curly stainless steel pot scrubbers. They look like a hand full of swarm, but feel surprisingly soft. They do a really good removing dried oil and rust but don't scratch the base metal. Really good at brightening up feed dials with a little WD40.

Sand blasting might be a touch to violent but baking soda should work perfectly. It's mild enough that it shouldn't damage the knurling but effective in stripping built up crud and old paint.

Back