What's new
What's new

CNC lathe coolant ingress-would this work?

EndlessWaltz

Cast Iron
So looks like bearings were already replaced...probably fairly recently. I know the spindle sounded good before purchase. I know the machine has been without power for around 3 months. I am cleaning and inspecting...and waiting to hook up power, I noticed some coolant came from around draw tube??? when I removed one of the screws from the back side of rotary cylinder actuator flange. Then I found the weep holes at bottom of spindle face flange were plugged. So the geniuses who were doing maintenance must love doing their job over and over again.

My question is this..should I try and spray LPS down tube and use light air pressure while spinning by hand to try and get coolant out to prevent the spindle bearings from rusting any further?? I am sure they were using a semi synthetic coolant and I do not feel like starting it up on bearings coated in rust. I will not have power till another week at earliest and the machine cutting metal for another few weeks. *you will see why in a later thread.

Thanks for any advice.

Back