What's new
What's new

Colchester bedways damaged - Repair

jlmtb1

Plastic
Looking at a second hand Colchester triumph for sale the has worn bedways (see photo). Is it worth repairing? And has anyone had experience and a estimate on repair cost (Australia)
Also do you have to re-harden the bed again?
IMG_4302.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looking at past threads on this it looks like $600 to perhaps $1.500 here in the states..

But to make it brand new may not be needed for what you want to do with it..The wear may be fairly even for a good length of the bed..

If you were to get a commercial company to do the work, you could find a much nicer second hand lathe for cheaper.

At the very least you need a bed regrind and the saddle then built up. Maybe $2500 just for the bed grind alone without any of the high labour work of rebuilding the saddle and redoing the cross slide.

I had a 10EE bed reground in Melbourne at mates rates and that was $1500 several years ago. Then I took two years to rebuild the other parts.

Rich you still have your way grinder? How deep is the wear? Also to those reading this note the raised bump or ridge along the bed front Vee way. Know what caused that? The saddle has or had because it is probably worn out too...lol

It was a straight oil groove in the saddle and it never wore there and left the ridge. I would measure the depth and decide. I'm thinking the bed was induction heat treated vs. flame hardened. If you has a portable plastic tube ball bounce hardness tester you could tip the bed so the v way is level and drop the steel ball on the ways near the tail-stock and down where it's worn the deepest and compare the bounce.

Also if a hardened bed is worn that bad the soft saddle must be worn 2 or more times the bed ways and will need to be raised with phenolic or turcite. They must machined or ground some sort of abrasive material on it and never clean and oiled it?

How are the other parts on the machine? rack and pinion, feed screws? Caraige worn out too...if it still runs sell it to a rancher as -is, who fixes tractors and the like. If it's for your use and everything else is not worn to bad, work on it in your spare time and keep it or sell it to some job shop as a second op lathe. Hi to my Mates down under :-) Rich

Back