What's new
What's new

Correa F3UE Dual Swivel Mill Head Bearings?

pez

Plastic
I have a Correa F3UE which has a dual swivel aka Huron style vertical milling head. The spindle bearings are starting to get noisy so I'm looking at replacement. Unfortunately the OEM don't have any drawings/manual available and the one from this machine is long gone.

Has anyone pulled this type of head apart before? Keen if there are any typical drawings etc, or advice on some of the common pitfalls on a bearing change.

Not looking forward to getting the bearing supply costs though...

IMG_2973.jpg

Last edited:
Machtool has said exactly what I was going to say. I'd be looking at the fit of the gears and the backlash in the gear pair before I bought any bearings. They will possibly be spiral bevel gears. I've worked on " Elgamills " with a similar head design. It can get complicated.

Regards Tyrone.

That's a very good point, I'll give it a lube service and see if there is any change. It's most noticeable at higher speeds so gear noise makes sense.

I haven't stripped this type of head before so I'll see if there are any drawings of similar heads. The factory don't have much info on this model unfortunately. I'm not keen to just tear into it blind.

I've done 3 -4 dozen's of those heads over the past 3 decades. Butler, Huron, Zayer, Anayak, Nicolas Correa, Roku Roku, Sackman, Hamai.

I pull $15k -$18K for a full rebuild.There's one company left in the country that can cut those spiral bevels. Even when I turn and supply the blanks out of EN36A. They are $6k in gear cutting, across the 4 units. If I scrap in the 4 faces, so it points North / south / east / west 0.02 /300mm in any direction.

They are a can of worms, getting the gear mesh correct, As soon as you change something, it will need a corresponding adjustment. Grind something off a spacer, to head one way, it will need a new spacer the other way. 2 gear mesh's and critical bearing pre-loads to maintain.

I think I've just become the unofficial agent for Zayer. Mate of mine that just does agency / sales. He just pulled the agency. Phone call. Hey Phil, can you cover this for me? Sure Bro. I have nothing better to do. They better put 8 days in a week.

Regards Phil

Back