What's new
What's new

Development of original round surfaces

knickly

Plastic
Hello all,

One of my particular interests is the creation of precision parts without a precise like part. I've seen lots of information about the three plates method for making surface plates. What I've not seen much about is the creation of round parts.
How was this accomplished? Can an imperfect part be lapped to round? Would one measure in a vee-block, and progressively remove the high spots?

Hello all,

One of my particular interests is the creation of precision parts without a precise like part. I've seen lots of information about the three plates method for making surface plates. What I've not seen much about is the creation of round parts.
How was this accomplished? Can an imperfect part be lapped to round? Would one measure in a vee-block, and progressively remove the high spots?

usually round part done on lathe with dead centers. if small error ok then live center is often good enough

Are you asking how to make a round part outside of a lathe or a cylindrical grinder?

All parts are imperfect. Perfect, does not exist. There is only good enough for the job.

there are split laps that you can make smaller. like a split nut die. a split thread lap of fairly long length is a old methods to make screw threads more precise lead. drunken thread or variations in thread per inch become important with surveying optical and astronomy instruments.
when they make diffraction gratings of many fine lines on glass to break light up to colors for measure wavelength it is critical to have precise space

Hello all,

Can an imperfect part be lapped to round? Would one measure in a vee-block, and progressively remove the high spots?

Yes.

And there is no need to "measure" anything unless a particular size needs to be hit. With care, rounds can be lapped to incredible roundness - 1/4 of half a micron is common for "kitchen" stuff.

Back