What's new
What's new

Disassemble Astra L4

Subiedriver

Plastic
Hi, newbie on the form here, in fact new to (metal)lathe and millwork, have just purchased a South Bend 9 inch and an Astra L4 Sr. at auction. I think I can get the South Bend into its components for moving it, but I have reached a dead-end on trying to pull the Astra apart. Principally trying to figure out how to remove the bed so as to lessen the weight a bit. I have the motors and the milling head off now.

No manuals seem to be available. Happy for any advice.

Doug

Attachments

• C148D669-54F9-4620-8D17-9C02D2084CF9.jpg
    C148D669-54F9-4620-8D17-9C02D2084CF9.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 62D51A14-1B0E-462A-BCDE-574323B95227.jpg
    62D51A14-1B0E-462A-BCDE-574323B95227.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 119
I've got no specific knowledge of that machine but it looks from the photos that you can at least remove the table.

Unfasten the casting on the right end of the table and you should find out how the leadscrew is held on that end. If you unfasten it, you should be able to crank the table off the saddle completely going to the left. You probably can't remove the saddle and knee without disassembling the spindle which I suspect is more work than you want to do.

I've got no specific knowledge of that machine but it looks from the photos that you can at least remove the table.

Unfasten the casting on the right end of the table and you should find out how the leadscrew is held on that end. If you unfasten it, you should be able to crank the table off the saddle completely going to the left. You probably can't remove the saddle and knee without disassembling the spindle which I suspect is more work than you want to do.

Thanks TGTool - helpful, as opposed to the troll under the bridge who made the first reply. If I get the table off that should get me to a weight a few of us can manage. Pretty sure I can see now where that casting fastens. Had limited time at the auction site that day.

Are a lot of professional machinists as grouchy as the number of ,’go away you amateur’ posts I’ve seen here would indicate?

Thanks TGTool - helpful, as opposed to the troll under the bridge who made the first reply. If I get the table off that should get me to a weight a few of us can manage. Pretty sure I can see now where that casting fastens. Had limited time at the auction site that day.

Are a lot of professional machinists as grouchy as the number of ,’go away you amateur’ posts I’ve seen here would indicate?

Well, it does sort the wheat from the chaff. The forum owner has definite ideas about what does and doesn't belong on his forum so scout the background stickies if you haven't already.

Participants who last here do have to develop a thick skin about some responses. Ones who come off worst are recent entrants who get bent out of shape and try to tell off the curmudgeons. Being the smart mouth to the guy who will send you home with your teeth in your back pocket is a tough lesson,

Back