What's new
What's new

Eye protection for Biax...

cbowen4

Plastic
I'm using a Biax to scrape in a lathe bed. A problem I have been having is that some designer felt it was a good idea that the fan output blow straight up. The constant wind blowing at my face causes my eyes to dry out. I've tried two different goggles (over my regular glasses), but they both vent in the bottom, so the breeze just goes right in. Any suggestions on some goggles that will better shield me from that?

What Biax is it? The metabo green motor ones have a plastic deflector that can be left out if it's been apart and re-assembled. Could be that's your problem.

Duct tape some cardboard on to re-direct the air flow. I don't remember my old blue one giving me that issue, but if it had...duct tape and cardboard.

I would suspect it is the green Matabo motor and Pete is spot on, someone had it apart and left out one or all the black air deflectors out. If by chance the side deflectors are still there, move it to the top.

It's a 4eb and blue. Sorry, I should have indicated that. I thought about something like cardboard, but didn't want to hurt the cooling on the motor. But that sounds like a great idea, so I'll see if I can make a deflector that will work.

I would suggest you contact Ed Dyjak Co His company repairs BIAX scrapers. He and I have been friends for 30+ years and he is about the only place you can get some advice and help on old BIAX scrapers.
That scraper is probably 40 to 50 years old, Ed has a piles of older machines he uses for spare parts.
Address: 3801 Stobart Rd, Milford, MI 48380
Phone: (248) 684-4260
email [email protected]

You can get good glasses from the ski bum Coupons.
I used to buy from there because of their discounted and bargain prices.
And also of good quality products.

Those old blue ones had a spring shield that would wrap around 3/4 of the motor housing. Many people didn't know what they were and tossed them. they were approx. 1" wide and you would rotate it to cover up the vents depending on what direction you were holding it.

Back