Former Newbie Question 'Flaking / Frosting' - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    For the " push and twist " technique to work effectively your scraper must be kept really sharp. I used a " Sandvik " carbide scraper for most jobs. Some people don't rate them but I'd no complaints. Just as long as you have a diamond lap to keep the edge nice and keen.

Regards Tyrone.
    I make up a brazed scraper / flaker with 1/2" wide edge and tried various radius - as I say keeping it biting in was the problem and every other rotation caused it to skid - maybe I just got the cutting geometry wrong - if I pushed it along it would scrape a shaving so it was sharp - honed on a diamond hone by hand. It worked fine pull flaking although the rad' was a little small - the crescents were approx 1/4" rad - cute but not large enough I felt. I used the Sandvic scraper pull flaking in the end.

mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    I make up a brazed scraper / flaker with 1/2" wide edge and tried various radius - as I say keeping it biting in was the problem and every other rotation caused it to skid - maybe I just got the cutting geometry wrong - if I pushed it along it would scrape a shaving so it was sharp - honed on a diamond hone by hand. It worked fine pull flaking although the rad' was a little small - the crescents were approx 1/4" rad - cute but not large enough I felt. I used the Sandvic scraper pull flaking in the end.

mat
    Why 1/2" wide ? That's quite narrow in my book for push scraping. My " Sandvik " blade would be about 1" wide. The pull scraper I fashioned from a length of silver steel many moons ago was a little bit more than 1/2" wide but that was for producing little 3/16" to 1/4" squares.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why 1/2" wide ? That's quite narrow in my book for push scraping. My " Sandvik " blade would be about 1" wide. The pull scraper I fashioned from a length of silver steel many moons ago was a little bit more than 1/2" wide but that was for producing little 3/16" to 1/4" squares.

Regards Tyrone.
    Its what I had in Carbide blank - a stick 4" x 1/2" wide x 1/4" thick. I had 'planned' to use it to get into the dovetail of the tool head slides , the sandvic blade I have is 1".

I have been pulling together some bits n bobs to make up a pull scraper as per your earlier posts - just not had the time to do it (or space with the shaper in bits spread about). I was chatting with my 'neighbour' late into last night and he has promised to give me some tuition for some hand scraping & flaking - it should be interesting and educational as he is a 3rd generation machine builder / rebuilder now semi retired at 74. Listening to him last night talk about machine beds he worked on which were measured in excess of a hundred of feet long in firms long since gone from Manchester & Halifax etc
    He looked quite amused at my 'scraping' and flaking' on the shaper - more so after the various takes I told of the learning curve in everything from getting repeatable measurements being the first challenge to taking too much off and then re-working a face to bring it back in. I did catch him run his thumb nail over the flaking and smile to himself as it ratcheted ...
    Ive got an old worn rusty CI surface plate which we will practice on - it may even end up useable !

Cheers mat

4. Likes Demon73, Paolo_MD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    Its what I had in Carbide blank - a stick 4" x 1/2" wide x 1/4" thick. I had 'planned' to use it to get into the dovetail of the tool head slides , the sandvic blade I have is 1".

I have been pulling together some bits n bobs to make up a pull scraper as per your earlier posts - just not had the time to do it (or space with the shaper in bits spread about). I was chatting with my 'neighbour' late into last night and he has promised to give me some tuition for some hand scraping & flaking - it should be interesting and educational as he is a 3rd generation machine builder / rebuilder now semi retired at 74. Listening to him last night talk about machine beds he worked on which were measured in excess of a hundred of feet long in firms long since gone from Manchester & Halifax etc
    He looked quite amused at my 'scraping' and flaking' on the shaper - more so after the various takes I told of the learning curve in everything from getting repeatable measurements being the first challenge to taking too much off and then re-working a face to bring it back in. I did catch him run his thumb nail over the flaking and smile to himself as it ratcheted ...
    Ive got an old worn rusty CI surface plate which we will practice on - it may even end up useable !

Cheers mat
    Is your pal a " push and twist " guy ?

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is your pal a " push and twist " guy ?

Regards Tyrone.
    Judging by the motions he was making with his hands as he talked I guess so. He seamed troubled by the possibility of not being able to find his 'favorite scrapers' which he had made up. Given the size of the property he owns and the various outbuildings and machines and vintage cars, vans, trucks etc & a far from small collection of aged / vintage tractors - I would suspect he has stuff stacked away which he has long since misplaced.
    Might pop over tomorrow evening and see if he has found the 1"x4tpi LH Tap he thought he had for me. (That will save me a lot of messing about with my lathe).
    Mat