What's new
What's new

Foster Superfinisher - ever seen one of these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackardV8

Hot Rolled
IMG_0626.jpgIMG_0629.jpgIMG_0628.jpg

Really interesting Foster Superfinisher with a Thor motor. I'm thinking it's a flaking machine, to add the finish after scraping. What say the experts here?

jack vines

Looks like the company was more in the turret lathe business, perhaps this is an accessory that can mount to the the machine to perform some finishing operation on the workpiece?

Charles

Thanks for the suggestions. For whatever reason, it never occurred to me that little devil could be used on a lathe tool post. Is it a currently used process?

jack vines

It is a lathe attachment. I've used them many times doctoring up scored periscope tubes, diesel crank journals, and hydraulic rods. It;'s capable of sub micron finishes and with the right stone holders and technique will correct cylindricity to gage quality.

It oscillates a honing stone axially on the circumference of the diameter you wish to give a fine textureless finish. The stone's grit and frangibility have a profound effect of the quality of finish as does the coolant used - generally a medium sulfurized oil. Set-up is simple: mount it on the machine but take care the oscillating axis is parallel to the work axis. Select a stone you'd in a hone for the same material.

The stones may be expensive but the stone holder may be shop made.

Adjust the work RPM and the stone oscillation so the cross-hatch pattern on the surface is 60 to 120 degrees included angle. Stock removal is slow; this is a fine finishing operation even when using so-called "roughing" stones,

This is a useful tool in the right application. I suggest keeping it for a while and experimenting. The oily slurry is full of abrasive so protect your machine with poly film and use a pan to catch the drippage.

Many thanks, Forrest, for a very clear explanation. Learn something every day here.

You may want to ask this in General Forum as it looks more like a toolpost grinder to me.

Can a moderator move this to the appropriate forum?

jack vines

The way it works is that it is designed to achieve a certain size and finish,
and when the finish is achieved the surface is so smooth that the stones can
no longer cut as they are hydroplaning over the surface because of the bow-
wave of cutting oil.

Happy Thanksgiving to all,

Paul Hoffman

If you get it working please post the pictures. If not how about giving it to Forrest or Tool Post so they can demo it. I would love to see it. Or send it to Kieth Rucker and he can add it to his collection of You Tube shows and put in the Tifton machine Museum when he is done. Rich

Many thanks, Forrest, for a very clear explanation. Learn something every day here.

Can a moderator move this to the appropriate forum?

jack vines

Jack I think for now that you have gotten all the answers you need so rather than moving it I will just lock it. I can unlock and move it later if you prefer, I will leave the ball in your court for now.

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back