What's new
What's new

frosting and flaking

dian

Titanium
connelly sais in 20.21 (p. 172/173) flaking is very different from frosting (= flowering), as described in 20.4 (p. 165/166).

does anybody know the difference or understand his explanation?

Last edited:
I would gladly help, but please link to those books. Or scan the pages you refer too.

In my opinion frosting is more cosmetic and faking is for oil lubrication and looks. There are different designs. The most popular is 1/2 moon that was originally down by hand and then by power using the BIAX.

Chapter 20 in the Connelly book is devoted to Frosting and Flacking.

sorry, i made a mistake, its connelly im talking about. i just happen to be looking at wade as well. correcting first post.

Flaking is the scraping of grooves, usually half-moon shaped for oil retention Not for decoration. Frosting is the practice of doing a finish pass with square blocks in a chequer board or other repeating pattern to give a pleasing appearance. Generally with a depth of less than a tenth of a thou.

It should be noted that Connelley insists that the two terms are used in the opposite meanings to those stated here and by Richard.

In my opinion frosting is more cosmetic and faking is for oil lubrication and looks.

LOL Yes, I realize it's just a typo but I think Rich has tapped some hidden wisdom here. He's giving a hint about those used machines that are listed as "like new" because someone's gone over the ways with a faker, er, I mean a FLAKER. Looks good. Doesn't mean shit about whether the machines is worn or not.

Mark I usually agree with you, but have you ever looked at the top of a Bridgeport Table?

Many companies use it for cosmetics. I have seen where rebuilders 1/2 moon flake clearance surface for cosmedics. Giddings and Lewis used to scrape /flake clearance surfaces also, but their flaking was narrow scrape marks in a square cut pattern. The only reason was for looks, nothing to do with oil lube.

I 1/2 moon oil flake 95% of the time under the unexposed ways. I rebuild some Bridgeports for Fisher Price Toys years ago and when I was done, the purchasing agent said it doesn't look like a new machine??

I explained my reasoning of not flaking the exposed sides and he said he din't care he wanted them to look like new. Oil flaking averages .002" deep and most Bridgeports have galls in the ways. I have tested machines for the US Army/Navy at Defense Logistics East in Mechanicsburg PA. They have a huge tool room with several brands of machine tools and I had my class split up in 2 man groups and use step ladders and measure scraping and 1/2 moon and square cut "flaking" and scraping was on average .0004" and the flaking above it averaged .002".

I spoke to a Bridgeport Engineer at IMTS show once as I was demoing a Biax Flaker in the booth and I said to him, you 1/2 moon flake the wrong side because it looks nice. He stared at me and said..."if they change the way wipers yearly the ways won't scratch" Bridgeport grinds the ways on top of the knee and 1/2 moon it for oil lubrication and LOOKS....

And as Jan said many used machinery dealers fake flake way surfaces (was a typo, but is true) to hide bad ways and for cosmedics. For the poor sap who looks at how pretty it is and figures it's rebuilt. Years ago when I had the rebuilding company, I had a huge screw machine house here in MN who hired me to 1/2 moon flake all surfaces on their worn out machines and paint the old worn out machines. I told the company owner "why are you doing this?" He said he "wanted new customers to look at his machines and think...Wow he has some beautiful machines."

I made him sign a contract saying "Clean up machine and cosmetic flaking. No rebuilding was preformed" to protect my butt just in case he started telling people King Rebuilt my machines. I had a crew in there at night and charged him overtime rate and he gladly paid it.

Last edited:

Back