What's new
What's new

got myself a real surface plate....ready ti work on larger parts.

dcsipo

Diamond
It came with a stand...but i have no place for that right now, but it is in the shop safe and secure....500 lb of pink goodness. it is a grade B 2' x 3' no chips or visible wear, have not surveyed it yet...but just looking at it the granite surface finis is a uniform satin sheen, was calibrated in 2009. oh the best part...i paid a whopping $202 for the plate and the stand.

IMG_2195.jpg

Right now it is sitting on a concrete ledge covered with oak flooring.

dee
;-D

Very nice, and let me be the first to congratulate you on you acquisition with a "You suck".

I wish I had room in my shop for one like that.

Yup, I do suck, and mighty proud of it...I put in a bidnip for something like 320.., and honestly did not expect to get it, i was shocked that i had to drive to Virginia today to pick it up. I don't really have the room for it either, but made room, something will have to sleep under the table saw extension now...

The plate was a bit stained here and there, i cleaned with windex, and there are still some spots. but all and all i am tickled pink.....pun intended. When i get more room, a bit flush with cash i'll find a service provider to resurface to AA

dee
;-D

Interesting. I just drove 250 miles to pick up a Precision brand, black granite plate in those very same dimensions. Grade A, with a stand...100 clams. Those are some heavy toys to haul around..for sure.

Stuart

Interesting. I just drove 250 miles to pick up a Precision brand, black granite plate in those very same dimensions. Grade A, with a stand...100 clams. Those are some heavy toys to haul around..for sure.

Stuart

Yeah, they are heavy. I can't carry a single 2 x 3 ft granite plate. It throws me all off balance. I have to carry two, one under each arm. That way I'm balanced enough I can walk from truck to shop, jump up on a loading dock, climb a flight of stairs. Saves the back..

How you plan to survey it Dee? Did you get some kit?

I do not have things to fully measure it. Paolo lent me a 3 ft granite straight edge, I will put it up on a couple of 123 blocks and see if the whole thing is within a 10th. That is the best quick check i can do right now. If it does not have a dish somewhere i can assume that is it ok for me for the time being. As i said i will get it redone to AA when i get some coiniage laying around waiting for nothing.

dee
;-D

I do not have things to fully measure it. Paolo lent me a 3 ft granite straight edge, I will put it up on a couple of 123 blocks and see if the whole thing is within a 10th. That is the best quick check i can do right now. If it does not have a dish somewhere i can assume that is it ok for me for the time being. As i said i will get it redone to AA when i get some coiniage laying around waiting for nothing.

dee
;-D

Dee,
As mentioned in my e-mail, you're welcome to borrow my "Plate Field Tester":

Paolo

will get it redone to AA when i get some coiniage laying around waiting for nothing.

I'd rate that a waste on a small plate that thin.

My own "AA" is thinner-yet, but only 9" x 12".

I didn't pay all that much more than you paid for the Starrett for my 30" X 48" Herman Grade A. Four-ledge, a tad over 8" thick. Regular use of Irish Spring soap sorta saps a person's "strength" so I can't match Forrest for Paul Bunyan antics.. needed a forklift just to turn it over and put it back on its table.

:)

Even at 8" thick, I'd not bother trying to have it vetted to "AA".

Not worth the HVAC cost to hold the area where it works to the narrow temp range needed.

YMMV on the temp environment, but 'at 'least' start with a thicker 4-ledge plate if AA is a genuine need.

I didn't pay all that much more than you paid for the Starrett for my 30" X 48" Herman Grade A. Four-ledge, a tad over 8" thick. Regular use of Irish Spring soap sorta saps a person's "strength" so I can't match Forrest for Paul Bunyan antics.. needed a forklift just to turn it over and put it back on its table.

Not worth the HVAC cost to hold the area where it works to the narrow temp range needed.

YMMV on the temp environment, but 'at 'least' start with a thicker 4-ledge plate if AA is a genuine need.

then settle for an A :) there is no point lapping a stone to B..

dee
;-D

so i was curious...blued it up and took a print....one thing i noticed immediately is how easy it is to see the evenness of the blue over the pink. Never though of it but it is a huge benefit. I first saw this with cast iron surface plates, but the pink is even better. I will never want a black surface plate.

dee
;-D

so i was curious...blued it up and took a print....one thing i noticed immediately is how easy it is to see the evenness of the blue over the pink. Never though of it but it is a huge benefit. I first saw this with cast iron surface plates, but the pink is even better. I will never want a black surface plate.

dee
;-D

A very interesting point, something I didn't even think about. The plate I noted in my earlier post was black granite. I have been fooling around with some small parts but have been using a small pink Starrett..just like yours, but a little baby. As you stated, rolling out the blue is easily done in a even manner because of the color contrast. I had never thought about it and can't imagine how difficult this same task might be on my black plate.:)

Stuart

As you stated, rolling out the blue is easily done in a even manner because of the color contrast. I had never thought about it and can't imagine how difficult this same task might be on my black plate.:)

Stuart

Oil-based marking paste - and certainly Canode - can be had in yellow, red, black, and orange as well as blue.

Oil-based marking paste - and certainly Canode - can be had in yellow, red, black, and orange as well as blue.

At least with Canode, the light colors are too transparent in order to be properly seen when spread thin over a dark surface. They're great as highlighters on cast iron surfaces, but-at least for me-too light in order to be used for spotting.

Paolo

At least with Canode, the light colors are too transparent in order to be properly seen when spread thin over a dark surface. They're great as highlighters on cast iron surfaces, but-at least for me-too light in order to be used for spotting.

Paolo

I have orange and yellow canode, if i spread it as thin on the black plate as i would spread the blue it might look like water, the blue might be slightly more visible. I will try it and see if i can take some pictures.

Nevertheless i was quite surprised how the pink stone shows the thickness of the blue, if you don't spread it as even as can be it looks blotchy or undulating. I thought i was pretty good at spreading canode on granite, but the pink rock proved me wrong, had to work at it a bit more to even things out. Also spreading canode on a cast iron plate is different as well, there you have to be careful not to smear it, a different problem that makes it more difficult to spread the ink well. The granite surface grabs the ink while the CI does not as much. The CI solely relies on the viscosity of the suspension, while on the granite you have more texture to grab onto. While you can easily spread the ink on a granite with a smooth brayer on a CI you are much better off with a harder foam paint roller.

Interesting what one can observe about something as trivial as getting a thin layer of pigment on a surface.

dee
;-D

I can certainly appreciate the need/cost/pain to get it there and keep it there, but for me, it was a no-brainer. Dropped my 12 X 18 off at a metrology company about an hour away last fall. $40 to check it out and certify it as it sits. It was a slightly out of spec A, $20 to lap back to A or $30 to lap to AA. At that point I'm already into it $60 to get an A, may as well pay the extra $10 to get AA. I fully realize that if my temp isn't in the range they gave on the paperwork I may not have an AA plate, but its definitely better than bring it back to just A.

Back