What's new
What's new

Hello, I’m looking Delta.Rockwell 20 inch vertical bandsaw. It is model number 28 - 3

bellaireroad

Aluminum
33750b46158ab9c34c9f6a8419bca9d6.jpg

Model number 28 -365. It has variable speed which works. There is also a shift lever to shift from high to low. My understanding is that you need to shift with the machine turned off, however when that is done it will not go into gear. The only way it goes into gear is to shift when the machine is running, and it makes a clunking sound when that happens. Is this a fatal flaw.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My understanding is that you need to shift with the machine turned off, however when that is done it will not go into gear. The only way it goes into gear is to shift when the machine is running, and it makes a clunking sound when that happens. Is this a fatal flaw.?

Given time, you can probably make it INTO a "fatal flaw".

Machine OFF doesn't mean you might not have to swing a cover open and move the wheels so gears line-up.

Given time, you can probably make it INTO a "fatal flaw".

Machine OFF doesn't mean you might not have to swing a cover open and move the wheels so gears line-up.

Ahh... so this is normal function?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Put more baldly, it is indeed normal function, and if it's shifted while running, eventually a gear tooth will break. Can't tell you when - maybe tomorrow, maybe 20 years from now, but eventually, it will happen. Kinda like driving through a blind corner in the wrong lane. So....please don't do that.

As Bill writes, moving the wheels back and forth a bit while engaging the shift lever will help, as will grabbing the blade and moving it up and down.

Consider yourself lucky, I hear they have sharp teeth
In my episodic random boredom... I once picked up a DVD on that. Turned out to be both more graphic than expected.. and funny as all Hell in the way it was handled!

Well .. given I've managed to AVOID teeth in that physical location, even if not those of a Divorce as deferred "bite", and can BELIEVE it funny, 27 years into far the lovelier marriage anyway!

:)

Have a care on your rebuild, though.

Seems to be an "occupational hazard" that Machine Tool rebuilders can grow teeth in their Anal sphincters.. then chew up one computer keyboard after another "teething" whilst singing religious cult hymns through their arse out into the vastness of the ethereal internet.

:D

Back