What's new
What's new

Hockey pucks... really?

Oversight13

Plastic
I have several surface plates to be put on stands that are yet to be built. My big guy is 48" by 72", 12" thick, 2-ledge, a Herman. What material can I use to support the plates at their Bessel points?

Why not hockey pucks? Hard rubber is a very good material for the purpose. Better than tennis balls.

Hockey pucks... really?

Lol, I hear ya. Not sure where that religion sprang up from :D

My 2c

If you plan on working with levels, go the 5 leg route (3 bearing the plate to the floor and 2 as outriggers) and dont use anything that is plastic / rubber / wood etc between the plate and the floor.

Heres how my 3 x 2 plate and stand came, contrary to some beliefs its a very solid setup.
attachment.php

attachment.php

If your not working with levels, use whatever youve laying about that passes the common sense test, inc beam located jacks and hockey pucks :D

The last large surface table I installed - 5 ft by 10ft- was sat on a frame like the green one in " Demon 73's " post. It was supported directly on three points. The two wing points at the end with three point are there just to stop the table rocking if a large weight is put on those corners. They're set to be almost touching the table underside and they're not taking any weight.

Regards Tyrone.

Last edited:
you got to wonder how many uses Canadians have come up with over the years for hockey pucks?

They get used a bunch around here for Body mounts (fit the '88 F-150 like it was made
just for it)
Reweld the rusted out portion, drill a center hole in the puck, and slip it in there.

The biggest problem I have, is fixing the cab is usually a summer job, and the
stores only carry them in the winter months.....:D

They get used a bunch around here for Body mounts (fit the '88 F-150 like it was made
just for it)
Reweld the rusted out portion, drill a center hole in the puck, and slip it in there.

The biggest problem I have, is fixing the cab is usually a summer job, and the
stores only carry them in the winter months.....:D

Makes ya wonder if a little squirt of maple syrup would take care of body squeaks too although it might be BBQ sauce in the south for the slightly higher viscosity and solids content for gap filling properties.

We re-powered our Hinkley Pilot 35 sailboat about 10 years ago, and in a rush to launch it, my father and I used hockey pucks for engine mount cushions.
We quickly determined that the pucks were much too hard (by a factor of 5 at least) and have been changed out to a softer rubber.
Just registered - long time lurker

I can surely testify from experience as a kid back north, that pucks are hard little buggers when they hit you. Folks who use them as "cushions" must be removing chunks of granite for the pucks to replace.....

I s'pose if you want a hard rubber item that size, pucks are a fairly cheap source. McMaster wants a 84 bucks for 6" of Buna-N at 3" diameter and 75A Durometer. That's 6 pucks.

We re-powered our Hinkley Pilot 35 sailboat about 10 years ago, and in a rush to launch it, my father and I used hockey pucks for engine mount cushions.
We quickly determined that the pucks were much too hard (by a factor of 5 at least) and have been changed out to a softer rubber.
Just registered - long time lurker

Auto parts store, had you but known. Good match to an appropriate Durometer et al, even if not a brand match. Not just engine mounts. Body/cab of pickups to frame & such.

Bought a dozen used "practice" pucks a while back. Jerry wasn't kidding. I b'lieve I've worked Aluminum that was softer!

Good news is they turned out grand for protecting a finished surface from a concrete floor on temporary moves and for insuring water didn't find legs or pads a rust-factory to lease if/s/when a floor was mopped or flooded.

Anything tough, stable and a little compliant. 2" squares of vinyl floor tile backed by flat bar. Bond the squares to the flat so they stay put if for some reason you have to relocate it. Any stout adhesive will do.

Make sure the support points are in the location dictated by the plate manufacturer. This is a mater of some importantance if the plate is to be used to its full accuracy.'

FYI::

http://www.tru-stone.com/pdf/FedSpecGGG-P-463c amendment 1.pdf

I can surely testify from experience as a kid back north, that pucks are hard little buggers when they hit you..

Yeah, are there was always some jackass at shiny who would raise it (shiny is no pads, usually outdoors, pick up style and the rule is the puck stays on the ice). A hard shot in the shines from a frozen puck is torture

I've even used them under machines :D

Not to pile on, but I played hockey for 35 years. I have the battle scars of 159 stitches, from many, many different impacts, to verify how hard hockey pucks are. Broke my right eye orbital once on a direct hit to the upper cheek bone of my right eye.

Those deflections in front of the net can be very, very painful.

Back