What's new
What's new

How are dovetail tapered gibs made in a production setting?

ewlsey

Diamond
Does anyone have pictures or knowledge of how dovetail tapered gibs are made in a production environment? I am assuming they start out with a casting of some kind.

What is the process? They don't appear to be Blanchard ground. The ones I have seen appear to have been milled on the clearance surfaces (edges). I don't know about the bearing surfaces.

The only piece of information I have is rather outdated: at Sheldon they cut their gibs on shapers. From time to time some new engineer would come up with a new idea on how to make them in a more efficient way. Each time, after a few months of testing they were back to the shapers. The trick is that planers and shapers introduce very minimal stress in the part and gibs so produced required only minimal fitting.
If I were to produce blanks, I would probably start from a plate and a bandsaw with the blade tilted to the dovetail angle.

Paolo

milling is often used. it requires rechucking lightly and multiple light finish cuts. i often mill
.017 semi finish cut
.0025 semi finish cut
.0005 finish cut
milling can obtain .0003" flatness and waviness tolerance if it is done carefully. it can be .001" out of tolerance easily if not done correctly

milling is often used. it requires rechucking lightly and multiple light finish cuts. i often mill
.017 semi finish cut
.0025 semi finish cut
.0005 finish cut
milling can obtain .0003" flatness and waviness tolerance if it is done carefully. it can be .001" out of tolerance easily if not done correctly

Please post a pic of your fixtures
It would be appreciated
Thanks

A sinemagnet with the pivitpoint on the short side or a magnet clamped in a vise at the right angle
Then first mill or shape and then grind
When milling keep the gib touching a shoulder bolted to the side of the sinetable
To make them fit I make them a fair bit longer
Then fit them with feelergauges at the end between gib and body
I adjust feelergauges till the feelergauges are even tight to a accurracy of 0.01mm
Then I know how much to adjust the magnet If 2 the same feelergauges are even tight I know we are getting somewhere
Then schrape them
Richard King can probably scrape them to size faster but not me And I still need the setup for milling

Peter

I mentioned in another thread about my fixturing alloy jigs. Float the blank on the molten fixturing metal and use the sine calculations to find the angle. Works very well, gib is supported 100% the whole length, and boiling water removes the gib when done.

I'm soon to make a cross slide gib using one with a 18" long pocket, overall length is 19" and can be set up in two Kurt vises for milling. I'm using continuous cast ductile iron for the gib itself, which seems to have more consistency and finer grain structure than just sawing off a chunk of cast iron.

Here is one I made a new gib for another 1440 lathe in, note the two set screws so I can duplicate the taper without gage blocks in the vises using a dial indicator;
IMG_2440.jpg

A new one for a 17" gib for my current project;
IMG_2441.jpg

Same fixture with an old factory gib sitting in it, and a fixturing alloy ingot sitting by it;
IMG_2442.jpg

But obviously I'm not doing it to earn a living, just forced by circumstances often over the years. And I'm not trying to teach or brag or somehow put anyone else down, it's just how I do it and there may be better ways.
If I had a big enough shaper or a planer I'd sure as heck favor that over doing the roughing in the mill, in any case the next step is scraping for a large contact area fit.

As to how they do it as machine tool manufacturers that would be interesting to know, I assume a dedicated jig with the angle built in. The reason behind the use of fixturing alloy for me was I couldn't find a better way to hold on to a lozenge section, the alloy does that very nicely.

Back