What's new
What's new

icebox machine rebuild---russian style

I've watched many videos from Ukraine and Russia about machine tool repair and rebuilding. The machine tool market seems to be entirely closed. The machines are all Russian made with very few variations. They seem to have almost no CNC machines, and what they do have are just CNC versions of the Russian made manual machines.

I guess due to the political animosity between our countries, I have never seen a Russian made machine tool in the US. I have seen some Ukrainian lathes, but no actual Russian gear.

This guy is Ukrainian as best I can tell. He rebuilds lathes.

андрей ткач
- YouTube

I came across this video of a guy refurbishing a little soviet made lathe. Actually looks like a pretty well made machine, too bad nobody is importing them. Of course my only other experience with russian made was friends Dnepper motorcycle, the aluminum in the crankcase was so porous it sweated oil. As for conditions, spend some time in my new shop when its -20 outside, the concrete just sucks the heat right out of me.

Lathe restoration. Simple lathe stand. - YouTube

It´s nice to watch many of those russian videos. They have a lot of ideas, often driven out of necessity. I watched a lot while preparing to work on my lathe, an old russian Stanko machine. Bed grinding sleds are more common in videos from there than many other places I think, and some of them are not bad caveating the inherent short-coming of reaching the entire surface in same set-up.

The Russian machines I've worked have obviously been designed with a lot of though given to be taken apart by relatively un skilled labour. Nothing wrong with that, for me it's a plus. I see the guy initially forgot about the saddle clamp but saw his mistake before it was too late.

Regards Tyrone.

Supposedly, even thinks like push button switches are designed to be serviceable. Take them apart and replace springs and clean contacts.

I'v done that for 40 years. What I don't understand is working on the floor, why don't they build a bench?

Haven't heard of Slav squat? :D
Vladimir_Putin_in_Tuva_2007-53.jpg

Happy St. Patricks Day every one (my Dad was full blooded Irish) !!

Back in 1971 when my Dad had a contract in MIS (Masjid -I- Solimon), Iran and I went as a helper. I had my 21 ST birthday over there. Then when I was on my way home I did some sightseeing. I was walking down a street in Tehran and looked into a street shop I saw 2 lathes inside the small shop and waked in. (I didn't speak Farsy and they didn't speak English, but we understood each other as we were machinists).

I had to do a double take as they were Russian Lathes but the were ass backwards. The head stock was on the right side and the TS was on left. Weird as hell. But those Iranian's were using them. Anyone working in the upper Midwest have had to go out and fix something when it's 20 below, especially a car...lol

I did a job on the Iron Range of MN in the 80's and it was -30F below and the heat in the shop stopped working because the fuel oil for the boiler gelled in the pipe. We were working on an emergency break down job, My Dad and Brother and I were wearing our snowmobile suits to stay warm. God what memories this site brings back. Thanks! Rich

Back