What's new
What's new

J&S Jones Shipman 540 Auto Lubrication System HELP

Jack Russell

Plastic
Good day

I have a 1974 vintage J&S 540. I am currently restoring it back to some form of life better than as I found it. I am looking for some information on the auto oil lubrication system (other than the main slideways). This partly has been damaged or plundered for bits for another machine.

I have the 24v pump unit to the RH column.
As far as I can make out, this feeds:

The vertical hand wheel (upper). (complete and ok)
The cross slide screw nut. (Complete and ok)

It feeds the top of the wheel-head elevation screw. The pipe is just hanging loose in mid air over the top of the screw. Is this just a drip feed, or did it actually direct oil somewhere specific?

At the base of the wheel-head elevation handwheel shaft there is a manual oil nipple. I suspect this should have been part of the auto lube system. Is this correct? Does anyone know what size of meter is required in order to apportion the correct amount of oil (#00, #0, #1 etc) ?

In the photo, the blue circled elbow had a short length of 3/16” copper pipe attached to it. The elbow has nothing feeding it to the inside and it doesn't apper to go anywhere to the outside. (i.e the elbow is simply just screwed into the casting). I suspect it lubes the vertical screw, but because there is no pipework on the inside, I am not sure. The casting has a recessed boss to accept the elbow, so it appears to be purposeful. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation of any assistance.

Kind regards

Jack
SnipImage.jpg

I have the same pipe going nowhere and came on here to ask the same. Did you find out more?

Back