What's new
What's new

Logan 920 Bearings

vc3006

Plastic
I have looked at a Logan 920 that from what I can tell will need the Timken bearings replaced on the main shaft. Everything else looks to be in 'good' condition for the age. Has anyone had the experience of replacing these bearings, and do you have an estimated cost of replacement parts? I think they are asking to much for the lathe at over $1,300. Should I just pass and keep looking, although any kind of lathe within 100 miles of where I live is hard to get. I looked at an 820, but it was a 'barn find' every machined surface was dark, dark, red/brown. They wanted $800. I am almost to the point of buying an Atlas 10100 6" lathe just so I can start turning metal. I can get two, like new, for a 7hr round trip and $500. Or an Atlas/Buddhist 101.21400 (you know, one with everything) for $900. I WANNA MAKE CHIPS!

I'd pass on the bad bearings. The dirty barn find might be worth the effort to clean up. I have 2 logans and like them better than the Southbend lathes.

Why do you think the hearings require replacement? If they have set for a while the grease may have dried out. Running them that way might loosen things up but also may ware flats on the balls. My 925 has that problem but the cost of new bearings doesn't make sense for me so I just keep going, I don't do machining for a living. I would take a noisy bearing Logan over an At**s any day.

However, that is a reasonable price for the bearings if they are the correct grade. I assume you were pricing them from Logan actuator. The main spindle bearings are angular contact bearings and require proper installation and preload. Last I heard Logan can install them for you.

Logan lathes are good machines in there price range but there are better options out there if if you consider the cost of the lathe and bearing replacement.

A 920 is a nice machine, an 11" swing, some have hardened beds, and many have reasonably modern spindle noses.

About $1100 with normal tooling is what they seem to go for even around here where machines are not rare. If not worn, and not rusted, with a reasonable amount of tooling, and the fact that you are in a "machine desert", the $1300 is not too bad, at least for a good machine.

If the bearings are known shot, that would be one thing. For that, scrap price, because the bearings will not be cheap if they are decent ones. Don't know what part number that one needs (you can get a manual from Logan) but here is their bearing page.

http://store.lathe.com/baandoibe.html

Many ball bearings (which is what it should have) that feel as if they are bad, may just have separated grease, and can be cleaned and put back in service.

Back