What's new
What's new

machining feed rollers

d1camero

Aluminum
I have two 16" feed rollers (from a 30 year old planer - a beefier version of the Makita 2040). They are probably urethane. Tested to be about 70 durometer. Both are worn towards the center. One to about 20 thou, and the other to about 35 thou measured in radius.

I realize that I can get them recovered (e.g. western roller), but dollars are tight, so I wwas wondering if I could chuck them up in the metal lathe and resurface them? I have seen a couple of article about using a tool post grinder (which I do not have), and use HSS with a round bull nose. I have some HSS blanks, and a fair bit of carbide tooling.

I suppose another question is if I take of 80 thou from the diameter will that have a negative performance on the machine? The rollers are about 2.5" in diameter.

thanks!

B325 Rollers.jpg

We used to do it on repair jobs with a band grinder set up on the lathe We used a coarse grit,60 I believe it was
Before we used that bandgrinder we did it with HSS
Sometimes it went perfectly and sometimes not at all Keeping these rollers in the freezer for a while helps
On another job we had a kind if centerless grinder with emery cloth on a drum for the rollers on spinning machines

Peter

Recently turned some rubber Wheels using this20170224_135806.jpg20170224_140626.jpg
But polly is harder to cut like this
I'd weld up a mount plate to bolt on your compound for a bench grinder,die grinder, router ect
Use a course sharp wheel and feed fast small doc

Put the rollers in freezer (-20'C)
Then machine, using nitrogen "freezer" spray and sharp tool.
Has helped me in situations like that.

Back