What's new
What's new

Made a cheap-ass carbidescraper sharpener

Peter.

Titanium
I bought one of these from a local boot sale, a Rexon WG180A planer blade wet grinder.

lapper1.jpg

Drew this in CAD and got my buddy Andrew to cut it out of and old ally sign on his cnc plasma

lapper2.jpg

Bent it like so

lapper3.jpg

And added a $10 Chinese diamond flat-lap disc.

lapper4.jpg

Voila - one cheap-ass lapping tool for carbide scrapers total outlay about £50 including the disc. It might look rougher than a badger's arse but it does the job and very well. Adjustable angle from about +20 to -45 degrees and a nice slow 350rpm. It's fitted with a 8" disc in the pic but the 6" ones work just as well. I made a backing plate but I have found that two discs stacked on the normal hub works too, and you don't even need a fancy stand, just screw it to a board and make a rest from some timber.

Anyway, it's an option instead of a $$$ glendo.

I have a Makita wet grinder just like that Rexon sitting in my garage (have done no woodworking for almost 25 years). Now I know what to do with it!

For those who don't know I will be very busy starting Nov 2 as I fly to Atlanta to teach a 1 week class again at Keith Ruckers shop he is the Vintage Machinery guy and You Tube star, then home for a week and then flying to Germany to teach 3 - 1 week classes for BIAX at different machine rebuilders. I will highlight the classes, then on Dec 9 th I fly to London and will be teaching a 1 week class. Pete who is a former student of the first Norway class we had back in 2014 (I think)is the acting host or organizer. Then I am taking Jan off. Start teaching again down at Steve Watkins shop in Texas in Feb, Then teaching a class in Northern CA in March, and 1 class in early April in Springfield VT and later in April again will be teaching at Bourn & Koch in Rockford IL.

Have been talking of doing a class in Oakland CA in June. The classes in GA, Germany and the UK are full.
If anyone wants to learn to scrape and many tricks of the rebuilding trade let me know. We have openings in all the other dates. Also thinking of taking next summer off, up here at the cabin, Rich

Last edited:
No it was set up for grinding planer blades etc, a sliding jig. Like I said above you can use it by simply standing it on it's edge and free-handing the grind but it takes some practice. This I made for novices to use at the scraping class so having a table rest and settle angle is essential.

You might want to lay a strip of Nylon or something to raise the front(wheel end) 1/2 of the tilt table because if your using those 150 long BIAX blades the back end of the blade is thicker where the silver soldered the part that clamps in the blade holder and that changes the rake angle slightly. The sheet metal work is super, do you have a brake or don that by hand? I can't wait to see it. You might be getting orders from Germany as we have a real issue importing Glendo's to Germany and the one Italian grinder that BIAX buys and resells cost I believe $4000.00. it is reversible though, Is yours?

You might want to lay a strip of Nylon or something to raise the front(wheel end) 1/2 of the tilt table because if your using those 150 long BIAX blades the back end of the blade is thicker where the silver soldered the part that clamps in the blade holder and that changes the rake angle slightly. The sheet metal work is super, do you have a brake or don that by hand? I can't wait to see it. You might be getting orders from Germany as we have a real issue importing Glendo's to Germany and the one Italian grinder that BIAX buys and resells cost I believe $4000.00. it is reversible though, Is yours?

It's a cap start motor so I guess it could be with the right switch.

Yup, thought you'd never ask:

Shop Stuff: Scraping Class

Second image down. The disk is cast iron but will work about the same if made of steel, aluminum (careful of chewing it up), brass etc.

Oh how I do love the second image here.
Complicated or fancy thrown out the window in place of do the job needed.
1/2 million dollar machine replaced by 100 bucks or less.
Bob

Back