What's new
What's new

March 2017 Rebuilding Class at BOURN & KOCH Machine Tool Builders

Richard King

Diamond
We are going to hold another Rebuilding / Scraping Class at Bourn & Koch in Rockford IL. Monday March 6 thru Friday March 10. B&K are one of a handful of machine tool builders in the USA. They own and service many of the great machine tool lines: Blanchard, Fellows, Barber Colman, Devlieg, Bullard, etc.
Machine Tools, Parts & Manufacturing Engineering Solutions You will be learning from me inside their building. Private message me or write me for details. [email protected] We have 4 students signed up so far and have room for 8 more. Rich

Pic: from the 2016 Class: "Other brother" Daryl demos square inspection methods, BK employees watching, Jeff T testing his Hardinge Mill, Cash M power scraping with B&K foremen in back ground.

20160315_144856.jpg20160317_111951.jpg20160317_111154.jpg20160316_134119.jpg20160316_134104.jpg

You bet it is. In my classes we have many skill levels. In the pictures above the 1 B&K employees had only limited experience scraping, the other never scraped. The classes are flexible, so if your experienced you need not take the basic first 2 days of the class and work on your project right away. As Jeff T the student in the tan overalls did as this was his 2nd class. as well as Cash the student holding the power scraper and brown overalls did too and I tweeked his scraping skill using the BIAX power scraper. Rich

I need to apologize as I at have to change this date again...I have been invited to speak at a conference in Taiwan on the Machine Building Industry that is at the same time in March. As many of you know I helped the Taiwan machine tool industries scraping over the several years by teaching for TAMI and PMC. I will know more in the next few weeks, please bare with me. Thanks. Rich

ROCKFORD IL REBUILDING CLASS IS A GO Monday March 6 thru Friday March 10, 2017

I have decided to decline the offer to speak in Taiwan and keep the class scheduled for Monday March 6 thru Friday March 10. So anyone interested in the class please write me at [email protected]

Richard, have you been able to confirm that the Bourn & Koch class will run? Would like to attend but also have work responsiblities, so will need to know soon. Thanks.

Lucky7

NO. They want one, I want one and you want one, but no one else has signed up. We need at least 7 more students to sign up. Sometimes they just don't happen. The first B&K class filled up in a week, the GA class was full in 3 days. I have had to cancel some dates as we never got enough people. That's the way the cookie crumbles. The Texas class is a sure thing, sign up for that and go to that one. Rich

Have work commitments on the dates the Texas crew have confirmed so cannot attend that one. Doesn't B & K have their own students at the March 6-10th course as well as others like me? Don't understand why they'd allow it at their place unless their company benefits.

Lucky7

They are the HOST shop and host shops are free to have 2 people attend for free. They supply the place, electricity, heat, etc. So until we get more people signed up it wont happen. B&K can keep there people busy with and with out the class. I just put it on Ebay yesterday as I want it to happen, but I can't do it and lose $$ doing it. I hope you understand. 5 months away. Usually if I don't have enough people 2 months prior to the class I cancel it and refund the deposits. No need to send a deposit now and wait until we get more students interested. Rich

Just a reminder that we are looking or a "Few Good Men" and Women to be politically correct. for this class and the Texas Class for that matter. We have 1 signed up and 5 very interested for Rockford and have 7 signed up for the Feb. Texas class. Rich

Hi Folks,

Just a few thought on this for those on the fence.

While it is not my job to promote Richards business or activities. I am a recent student of his with some prior scraping experience and found his tutoring extremely helpful. Good solid guy and a great instructor. He blends his experience, practical skill and sense of humor into a fun, information packed five days that will stick with you if you pay attention and apply what you learn.

He has said in the recent past he will be retiring soon. If you are interested in learning to scrape and getting a good solid basic understanding to machine alignment to explore further on your own or improve your skills I would suggest not sitting on the fence too much longer. From my conversations with him I am not sure when he is going to quit traveling, I do not think he knows for sure.

I realize that schedules, funds or other commitments have a way of impeding attending functions like this and it did me for several years. Not having classes here in New England or close by in NY was a barrier for me time wise. When a recent class was organized in nearby Springfield VT, I was right on top of it. And for me, well worth it. I know my next scraping job will not take near as long due to attending his class. Remember you only get out of something what you put in to it. YMMV

Warren

Back