What's new
What's new

Melbourne scraping class - calling for interest

StrayAlien

Cast Iron
Hi all,

I have contacted Phil Fehring about running another scraping class in Melbourne.

Phil, aka machtool on this forum, has said he'd be happy to run another course if the numbers were there to make it worthwhile - so my challenge is .. if I want to do the course I have to find some more students to join me!! Initial indications are the course would cost $500 for the weekend.

So, I am calling for interest to see what we can do. Minimum number would be 8 students, but 10+ to circa 15 would be better. The more we get the better chance we have of getting a lower price. Maybe. :-) :-)

At this point no dates have been set. For now I am looking for numbers to make it possible. The course sounds amazing and if you read the student reviews (google "Melbourne scraping class") you'll see what I mean. Apparently, the coffee is good too. :-)

If you are interested, email me: gregm at montera dot com dot au. I'll be doing my best to make it happen.

If anyone can suggest other avenues or forums (beside the Aussie metal working section of the woodwork forums - I'll be posting there) please ping me here or via email.

If anybody interstate is interested I can house a few at my house for the weekend to help keep expenses down - maybe some other forum locals might help in the same way.

Come on, let's not make that last Melbourne scraping class ... erm ... the last Melbourne scraping class ....

"you know you want to"

Greg.

G'day Greg, I am definitely very interested, and have always tried to make a course. Unfortunately my work commitments make this exceptionally difficult as I am both very busy and my roster is changed often and/or at short notice. While Phil knows the deal as well as I do, I'm often left feeling that I have let him down by saying I'm interested, and never actually showing up! I always say never to count me in the numbers, but if I'm able to get there and there is a spare place then you can count me as a "bonus person (or maybe more a liability!).

I have all my own gear I can bring down so at least there isn't any need to consider that.

Good luck with getting the numbers, and if anyone is considering the course I can thoroughly recommend it from many that I know who have gone before us.

Thank Pete, email me at the above email address and I'll get you on a list. I have asked Phil for his email list of those who missed out - I suspect you may be on that! :-)

I'd love to come, but the flight would be a killer. Maybe someday when I retire I will have the time and come for a holiday, stopping on the way a few places along the way. Then meet all you mates :-) G-day. Rich

Come on down Rich, escape the winter one year! The thing many forget, though mainly those from Europe, is just how BIG the place is. To put it in perspective, the land size is roughly the same size as the continental US, but with a total population approximately the same as the greater New York Metropolitan Area. I used to fly out to farms that were the size of significant European countries, but had only a handful of people on them. Combine all this and getting around the place takes some planning and isn't cheap. Likewise organising an event like this takes quite some logistics as people need to fly in from all over the country and fit that in with their own commitments.

I'd love to come, but the flight would be a killer. Maybe someday when I retire I will have the time and come for a holiday, stopping on the way a few places along the way. Then meet all you mates :-) G-day. Rich

This time next year and I might have the sailboat in the water. There's plenty of machinery needing work when the weather is too crap to go sailing....

PDW

Bump.

Yes, still looking for numbers - though I have been pretty slack and have not exactly been shaking the bushes too much.

As it happens, there might be some activity on the Phil/Marco front for another class - so if you're interested PM me here with your email address and contact number.

C'mon Melbourne, let's get a 2016 course going.

"you know you want to"

Greg.

Greg,

If Phil is going to run a class, count me in. I will need to know dates well ahead of time. I have a heavy workload I have to juggle.

BornSlippery, Rob. Apologies for the late reply. I've not been hovering around here all that much. The numbers are coming together slowly so we're getting there. If you could PM me you name / email / mobile I'll get you on the list.

Greg. Apols again for late reply!

Back