What's new
What's new

More surface plate vandals

Reconditioned. 藍 . Offer him $100. Each and scrape them to each other. Looks like the were once scaped. Then scrape them to each other and you will have better then A grade

They are 18" square and 50Kg/90lbs so that is within the realms of lifting by hand... barely. Freight would be an absolute killer though, looking at the Australian standard number: AS1004-1971 and the serial number ending in 79, they look like 1979 vintage products. I see in the photo there are four of them on a pallet, I wonder how many the seller has in total.

Over here in the states, (steve Watkins told me this) Fastenal the bolt company is starting to haul freight for about 1/2 price of common carriers. You take your skid to there local office and ship it to the nearest office close to where its going. Then customer picks it up. Maybe check down under...:)

Interesting seeing the dovetails cut into the plates. I wonder how accurate they are, for straightness and perpendicularity to the perimeter.

I would expect the slot to be to the same standard as the plate. I have a scraped cast iron plate with a t-slot all in very good condition. The t-slot is used to mount bench centers. At 18”x24” it fits nicely on a work bench.

I have made an offer of $100 for one plate, got a counteroffer of $365 which I declined. I'm hoping to be casting brass and then on to iron soon, the waste oil furnace is running well and I have to get set up for mould making.

Over here in the states, (steve Watkins told me this) Fastenal the bolt company is starting to haul freight for about 1/2 price of common carriers. You take your skid to there local office and ship it to the nearest office close to where its going. Then customer picks it up. Maybe check down under...:)

I hate Fastenal for a host of reasons. However this seems like a brilliant business model, they charge freight for orders shipped in which should in theory more than pay for the trucking. Then they make money for the Gulfstream V fund with extra freight they sell. Absolutely brilliant.

Odds are the whole plate top looked like the dovetail slot before the "cleanup" was done on top.

Ebayer is dreaming.....The only surface plates Ive sold lately were for heavy duty manhole covers......with the scrap price well up,I dont bother arguing with would be hobbyists.I even offered a forum member a 3'x2' plate when it was requested ,at scrap price......he never replied.

That one IS basically "scrap" as it is. It has been (I presume) rusted thoroughly, and then "cleaned up" with something approximating an angle grinder. It is now a "SPSO" (Surface Plate Shaped Object).

Any calibrated flat surface that it used to have is history, and THAT is what you pay for in such a thing. The hundred bucks was an honorable offer, considering the very large amount of work required to get it back to being what it once was.

...with the scrap price well up,I dont bother arguing with would be hobbyists.I even offered a forum member a 3'x2' plate when it was requested ,at scrap price.
What price are you working on for scrap cast iron? $200 per tonne is about top rate. Or 20 cents per kilo. Those Ebay plates at 50 kilo would be worth $10 bucks.

Regards Phil.

I dont see how you could buy anything in Melbourne and freight to Cairns.....3000 miles?..Cost would be astronomical.I see lots of nice stuff for sale in Victoria,especially from the car factories.....but I would nt dream of buying anything there that was heavy....Scrapwise.....Yeah, Im getting a bit better for heavy insize.

I dont see how you could buy anything in Melbourne and freight to Cairns.....3000 miles?..Cost would be astronomical.I see lots of nice stuff for sale in Victoria,especially from the car factories.....but I would nt dream of buying anything there that was heavy....Scrapwise.....Yeah, Im getting a bit better for heavy insize.

Since Queensland Rail Freight was privatised the freight prices have tripled, in 2010 I had 2250Kg on a pallet shipped for $400 from Brisbane door to door. Now, since it was sold and became Aurizon there's not much change out of $1400. My SAG 180 lathe of 1250 Kg came from Melbourne in 2007 for $700 freight, just wrapped in plastic. I'm not sure how you could get heavy stuff this far without paying more than the item is worth.

What price are you working on for scrap cast iron? $200 per tonne is about top rate. Or 20 cents per kilo. Those Ebay plates at 50 kilo would be worth $10 bucks.

Regards Phil.

In other words, buying a new import granite plate would be a far better proposition than trying to bring three of those iron plates back from the dead.

Back