What's new
What's new

Are my jaws off?

Chootem

Plastic
I’ve been trying to mess my southbend lathe and it seems like every piece of round stock i put on there is always off, Not round. Doesn’t matter if it’s a bolt or anything round. It can’t be that everything i choose is actually not round but what’s the best way to tell?
Anyone had a round piece of stock i can use to test my chuck?

Thanks

Grab a hold of a piece of something and turn it true far enough to grab on what you just turned plus a little bit to get your indicator on then flip it and see what it is with you indicator?

Or chuck on a end mill, something you can trust is half way round then have a look.

If the chuck is original equipment it's probably not in the best condition given it age.

Brent

You didn't say how far off the jaws are.

You do realize that each jaw has a specific location that it needs to be installed in and the right timing when you put them in? If this is the problem, you will be off by more than 1/8in.

If the error is less than 1/8in., then the error is all in the chuck mount itself and the jaws.

Is it out of round, or off center? Big difference!

If you chuck up a piece and can't get it to clean up and be round, then you have issues with your spindle and/or bearings.
If you put something round in it and an indicator shows one side consistently reads high, then your chuck is out. It could be out for a variety of reasons.

I’ve been trying to mess my southbend lathe and it seems like every piece of round stock i put on there is always off, Not round. Doesn’t matter if it’s a bolt or anything round. It can’t be that everything i choose is actually not round but what’s the best way to tell?
Anyone had a round piece of stock i can use to test my chuck?

Thanks

1) jaws often numbered and must be put in right place
2) chuck mount on lathe and back of chuck needs checking for dirt, dings, chips
3) chuck scroll needs cleaning as chips get on it.
4) scroll can get damaged in spots from over doing it.
5) can regrind jaws but wont stay perfect for long. often soft jaws are used and cut .001 every time for critical jobs

All, thanks for the information. I’ll be going back to the lathe hopefully today/tomorrow to test these responses. Thanks again. Will update.

Back