What's new
What's new

New Gib Strip clashes with way wiper

Colin Heath

Aluminum
Hello All,

I bit the bullet and bought a new gib strip for my Y axis as it was very worn. The strip is not now protruding out front of way due to being larger and as such the waywiper Aluminium housing won't sit over it.

This is original way wiper with DRO encoder mount so need to reuse.

Do people Machine to accommodate please?

Not sure that simply replacing the worn gib is gonna be a total solution to your wear problem. I take it the other was out of room for further adjustment, that's why you got a new one. Did you scrape or otherwise fit the new gib?

Not sure that simply replacing the worn gib is gonna be a total solution to your wear problem. I take it the other was out of room for further adjustment, that's why you got a new one. Did you scrape or otherwise fit the new gib?

Hi Derek,

Yes this won't solve wear issues but is to get me away with the machine for now until my skills are good enough to rescrape ways etc.

It's a new gib and put straight onto machine with fitting surfaces as I'm not sure what's required.

Here is like picture of overhang IMG_1063.jpg

Hi Derek,

It's a new gib and put straight onto machine with fitting surfaces as I'm not sure what's required.

I'm not sure what you're saying. I think you are saying that you did NOT scrape the new gib to fit. If this is true, then I'd say there is no chance of this helping you at all and is probably gonna make the machine much worse, as the new gib will not match the ways and be bearing on only one point. The saddle will be very sloppy, and, with the gib only slightly tighter, it will bind.
You would be better off just using the machine as it was for the time being, with the original gib put back.
You could put a strip of shim stock, of what ever thickness would work, behind the gib. Be sure to not block the oil hole. This will give you some additional adjustment, but again, if the ways are badly worn, it's a band aid at best.

Essentially, what you've done is equivalent to replacing the pistons with oversize ones in an engine, without machining the cylinders, etc.

Paolo

A new gib is generally made longer on both ends by as much as 2" to allow fitting to the machine components. Then you cut the excess off on each end leaving the gib flush on the small end and a little sticking out on the big end for later adjustment. Last, you cut the slot for the gib screw or screws if a gib screw is used at each end of the gib. Your gib looks like one that may have come off of another machine.

Back