What's new
What's new

New Granite Square

Pete Deal

Titanium
I just replaced the Y axis slides on my cnc mill and wanted a precise square to check the square of the axis. I wound up buying a 6x10 chicom square, which seems pretty good really. Then I found a 18x12x3 Mojave Granite square on ebay for $175 but pickup only. Just for the heck of it I asked the guy if he would ship and he said he would. Shipping only $65. Anyway, I couldn't resist! Seemed like a great deal. Came today and condition seems perfect. Accuracy is supposed to be .0001" in 12"

Granite Square.jpg

I don't know yet but will check them. I went a little overboard in the square department in the last few weeks and also bought a nice polish cylinder square on ebay. I am new to all this but when I put the cylinder square up to the chicom square i see no light at all top to bottom. I will indicate between the two granite squares and see how they compare- that should do it right?

Speaking of paper feelers, I've finally found some that I REALLY like. White "pastry tissues" (aka "doughnut tissues") that my wife's favorite bakery uses to keep sales-clerk fingers off of the goodies when bagging them. They're translucent white, a skosh over 0.001 inch thick, very uniform and strong, and impregnated with a "dry wax" that makes them ever-so-slightly slick, not sticky.

I finally got to check my chicom square (6x10) against my Mojave Granite 12x18 square. First I came up with the stupid idea of standing both of them on the surface plate face to face about 3" apart and setup an .0001" indicator on a base and slid it along the 12x18 square and probed the chicom square. This did not work so well. Then I figured the way to do this was to lay the big square down, then lay the small square on top of it. I slid the small square around until I had the two short bases parallel as determined again by sliding an indicator base along the large square base while probing the small square base. Then once those were parallel I did the same on the long edges. Seems like the chicom squares agree within .0001. Pretty stinking good for my use.

Are you able to post the source of the square?, or pm me if it’s from Big green
Thanks Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back