What's new
What's new

New to Me: Sharp 1540 Lathe Need a gear and manual!

boiled owl

Plastic
Long time reader & lurker! First post since 2009!
Recently bought this (Ta Shing?) Sharp 1540 lathe and as there is several "versions" of this I'm looking to the 42 tooth gear needed for some of the metric threads, as it the only one missing.
Any help to lead me in the right direction is appreciated!

Gear pictured below: Bore is .670 / 17MM, .370 wide, quick pitch with scale 3/16" The 42 tooth should look like the smaller gear in the photo.

51206390430__E81F9AB3-F896-4BC5-9FEE-6513BBE9F701.JPG.jpg
51206389161__770CBFE9-CF99-4A0B-9446-A19E11D05BDA.JPG.jpg
IMG_3137.jpg
IMG_3153.jpg
IMG_3154.jpg

Last edited:
Degreased with greased lightening. Wiped down the inside of the bed with lacquer thinner. Painted it with Bobcat white enamel that I had on hand with a brush.
I'm doing some "body work" on the chips in the grey. When I get it painted I'll post some more pics.

Thanks, I thought the paint looked too new! I have a similar Namseon (Koren) lathe that could use paint. Probably similar to yours it's real thick in places, almost like filler. And comes off in chunks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, I thought the paint looked too new! I have a similar Namseon (Koren) lathe that could use paint. Probably similar to yours it's real thick in places, almost like filler. And comes off in chunks

I used a 3M scotch brite abrasive 3" wheel to knock all the loose stuff off. Cleaned the metal with solvent. Then body filled. Then 1 coat of this Lucid 777 with a GOOD Ox hair brush. Would have been a cluster to spray it. I'm impressed with the paint. Mix only what you need as it has a pot life. I bought 2 quarts but one would have been sufficient.

Contacted Sharp Corp. They sent a couple of different PDF files of different style 1540 lathes, nothing similar to mine.
(This was confirmed by other PM members quests for the same that I found in my searches of this forum)
Apparently I've got the orphan!

Back