What's new
What's new

New to me Webb lathe. Looking for info

derekpfeiffer

Plastic
Hello all! I've been a machinist for 14yrs and 7yrs ago I started a side welding shop. I've been keeping an eye out for a lathe for my shop. Something not too big but not a hobbiest or table top either. I ended up stumbling across a Webb 20.5x60 gab bed lathe. It fit the bill perfectly! I hooked onto my trailer and took off this morning to look at it.

Everything seemed pretty tight. I wasn't able to see it under power. It hadn't been used for years. I ended up picking it up for $3800. Didn't seem too bad for what I got. Wish I could've seen it run first tho. I'm searching for any literature. The sight glass on the back of the machine didn't show any oil. I would like to know what oil goes where on this ol girl!

Hopefully I didn't get sold a bill of goods!

Here's a couple pics

IMG_20170402_224519848.jpg

IMG_20170402_224513140.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170402_223938759.jpg
    IMG_20170402_223938759.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_20170402_224529839.jpg
    IMG_20170402_224529839.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 316

If it is in decent shape you got a deal. It was designed by Mori Seki and they are still in production and sold as Wacheon. Made in Korea. Hell of a lathe, brick shithouse solid, I used one for 15 years a my last job, I like everything about it except where they put the lead screw reverse lever, about as far to the left as it could be and still be on the machine.

It seems to be in darn good shape for its age! I was quite surprised when I showed up and looked at it. Just popped the top to the gear head. Everything looks great. I was nervous that when there wasn't any oil in the sight glass that there'd be some rusted gears but that wasn't the case, thankfully! Do you happen to have any info on the oil types for the gear head, carriage and such? I've been trying to locate a manual for it, but have come up empty handed so far.

It seems to be in darn good shape for its age! I was quite surprised when I showed up and looked at it. Just popped the top to the gear head. Everything looks great. I was nervous that when there wasn't any oil in the sight glass that there'd be some rusted gears but that wasn't the case, thankfully! Do you happen to have any info on the oil types for the gear head, carriage and such? I've been trying to locate a manual for it, but have come up empty handed so far.

Google Greer Machinery, They will be able to help.

From your pictures you got a steal, machine is worth double what you paid if in nice condition.

I don't see a taper attachment ? did you get that. I would have an interest in it if your not wanting it.

as Cranium stated the sight glass on front will show oil flow while machine is running.

Sight glass window on carriage need to be kept up to the level marks

On back of machine should show the oil recommendations for oil specs.

I still have 1 hard copy left for operating & parts instructions.
if not probably have it in a PDF file. I will sell it for $75.00.(cost is to cover wife's she took to print,punch holes, bind & put in cover.) time.

Mark 713-575-8363

Probably one of the other guys I sold one to might jump
in before me and provide the PDF. :popcorn:

WP_20170403_002.jpg

WP_20170403_003.jpg

WP_20170403_004.jpg

WP_20170403_005.jpg

From your pictures you got a steal, machine is worth double what you paid if in nice condition.

I don't see a taper attachment ? did you get that. I would have an interest in it if your not wanting it.

as Cranium stated the sight glass on front will show oil flow while machine is running.

Sight glass window on carriage need to be kept up to the level marks

On back of machine should show the oil recommendations for oil specs.

I still have 1 hard copy left for operating & parts instructions.
if not probably have it in a PDF file. I will sell it for $75.00.(cost is to cover wife's she took to print,punch holes, bind & put in cover.) time.

Mark 713-575-8363

Probably one of the other guys I sold one to might jump
in before me and provide the PDF. :popcorn:

View attachment 195532

View attachment 195533

View attachment 195534

View attachment 195535

Unfortunately no taper attachment:(

I'd be interested in a copy of the manual

I just bought the same lathe this weekend. Looks like a real nice unit. I would be interested in the manual also. While moving lathe to my shop it leaked a lot of oil. I need to figure out how much oil to put back in machine.

Many times the sight glass will be full and appear to be empty since there is no air space so double check or else you will have oil running everywhere if you try to fill it.

Back