What's new
What's new

New possible way material UK source

Colin Heath

Aluminum
Hello All,

I am trialling a product from RS Components made by Igus part no A160-T-005-0120

It's designed for machine ways and I have used the self adhesive version which grabs like hell and doesn't seem to move.

I need to scrape the Gib as it's rocking on the surface plate so I may trial scraping the plastic as well.

Only £20 to do both Gibs twice so can experiment.

IMG_0981.jpgIMG_0982.jpg

I might be concerned about the effects of liquids. First on the self adhesive backing, And second on any changes to the materials volume with either the take up of moisture or oils. Most polymers do "change" with exposure.

Hello All,

I am trialling a product from RS Components made by Igus part no A160-T-005-0120

It's designed for machine ways and I have used the self adhesive version which grabs like hell and doesn't seem to move.

Maybe it will not move. Maybe it will do.

What Cal said.

Plus 'long ago.. etc' our firm purchased foil logo labels for some gear we made.

Came in two types. Peel-and-stick, nomenclature of the era 'pressure activated adhesive', and peel-and-wipe, nomenclature of the era 'solvent activated adhesive'.

The solvent-activated was a PITA to work with, but more durable in most situations

Much has transpired w/r adhesives chemistry since the 1970's, but lubes and coolants still do not take a lot of prisoners, chemically.

This sounds to be more convenient, "Day One" than the two-part adhesives most other materials use, but still, not sure how permanent a repair it will deliver.

The 'professional' grades with their more tedious preparations do seem to still dominate. Must be a reason for that, no?

Thanks Chaps,

The tolerance to all liquids is excellent and even fuels are tolerable. This material is recommended for machine ways so will be interesting to see how it holds up. The testing for wear is quite extensive also.

I figured as it's a Gib strip then nothing to lose but trial it and keep a close eye on wear and movement.

I'm curious as to compliance of the adhesive layer, whether it sets solidly after being applied or has the same "cushion" that a layer of typical tape adhesive has.

Agree with you that an easy to access gib is a great part for testing.

Thanks Chaps,

The tolerance to all liquids is excellent and even fuels are tolerable. This material is recommended for machine ways so will be interesting to see how it holds up. The testing for wear is quite extensive also.

I figured as it's a Gib strip then nothing to lose but trial it and keep a close eye on wear and movement.

I have several to do myself, no problem with UK sources, and am keenly interested in... letting the 'other guy' find any problems first..

:D

So, yes, do keep us posted!

And BTW ... do you even use coolants at all on the machine in question?

Back