Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by radiocontrolhead View Post
    My intention is to scrape in the dovetails on my "thing"
    Dove tails? Kinda limits your ability to find compatible partners, don't it?
    I mean - even Bridgeport started out with a "round ram".

I'm no scraper, but I'd put that 5-point list you posted very nearly in reverse-order as to where the challenges are most likely to be coming from.

2. Likes radiocontrolhead liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Dove tails? Kinda limits your ability to find compatible partners, don't it?
    I mean - even Bridgeport started out with a "round ram".

I'm no scraper, but I'd put that 5-point list you posted very nearly in reverse-order as to where the challenges are most likely to be coming from.
    gave it quite a few hits with the dead blow hammer. hopefully that set it straight...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have a 2nd California class next month - May 15-19 in Petaluma, about 1 hour north of San Fran. Sign up for the 5 day class and you will be scraping like a pro. Give me a private message and lets see if we can figure out a way you can come. Rich

PS: Then you don't have to guess or get advice from NON Scrapers

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    We have a 2nd California class next month - May 15-19 in Petaluma, about 1 hour north of San Fran. Sign up for the 5 day class and you will be scraping like a pro. Give me a private message and lets see if we can figure out a way you can come. Rich

"PPS" Didja tell him the "uniform of the day" for "rookies"?

"Humble Pie" beanie cap, (no propellor on top - that's for the intermediate course..) safety glasses, plastic beach sandals with steel toe-caps, and not a damned thing in between but freshly-deburred bare skin with a light coat of Canode yellow, is it?

"THIS IS A DRILL".. either you've recovered your sense of humour. Or not.

Pictures... if anyone has the guts..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Rich. Will do. My challenge will be requesting time off during the week to attend. If i cannot attend i'll end up picking up your video content and continue on with my self-taught path...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill did you get chased out of the Monarch thread and came back here to pester us again? I figure you get swatted from forum to forum. Showing up here and then going away, then go to another forum, get swatted and your off to another forum. Time to fly back to another forum and bug someone else.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill did you get chased out of the Monarch thread and came back here to pester us again? I figure you get swatted from forum to forum. Showing up here and then going away, then go to another forum, get swatted and your off to another forum. Time to fly back to another forum and bug someone else.
    So long as you take care of yer health, live long and keep sharing your lore?

"Swats" are worth it!

You managed to GET well. Again.

Now please take it easy and STAY well! Longer.

Hundreds of us out here, similar dice-roll. We can't Iron-Man Bulldoze our way through it. SHORTER than you are for one thing. Possibly smaller dicks, too, if we actually knew. Or even cared.

Some health challenges, one just has to work around the edges of with a certain dedicated and steady finesse as to meals, beverages, schedules, sleep, "pacing" ourselves as to work & travel stress, and living off annoyingly bland diet and life-styes. Does beat the alternative. Mostly.

As-in, ten-hour - or even six-hour road trips, legs not helping circulate blood and lymphatic fluids, can be a real hardship. Same again long airplane rides when unable to stroll about.

Learning scraping lore clear back to the Old World Masters was one thing. THIS part of Europe's expertise? Good for the circulation, buuut best leave the balance challenges to others, now:

Extreme Mountain Unicycling - YouTube

"Hundreds of us?". Could be thousands, actually.

With a few possible exceptions, most of the rest of us can't scrape worth a damn, either, let alone TEACH it.

Like it or not - guess that makes you special enough to try to save!

Knew it would all come good eventually, didn' yah?

Last edited by thermite; 04-16-2018 at 03:15 PM.

9. Likes Richard King liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some more info for you to absorb. Done by my friend, student and famous You Tuber Tom Lipton

Monday Night Meatloaf 117 - YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some more info for you to absorb. Done by my friend, student and famous You Tuber Tom Lipton

Monday Night Meatloaf 117 - YouTube
    Uhhmm.. well. y'know that bit about minding our schedules and eating habits?

Thanks, Br'er Richard. For the "meatloaf" part most of all.

Past midnight, and I've once again forgotten to fix meself a supper..

Or did I, really?

Hmm.. AHA! Check dishwasher for the forensic evidence!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Uhhmm.. well. y'know that bit about minding our schedules and eating habits?

Thanks, Br'er Richard. For the "meatloaf" part most of all.

Past midnight, and I've once again forgotten to fix meself a supper..

Or did I, really?

Hmm.. AHA! Check dishwasher for the forensic evidence!
    Looking for my fly swatter or bug spray.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking for my fly swatter or bug spray.
    Wondered where all those empty aerosol cans out in the yard came from.

That last air-strike was you, then?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    Nice work! Are you hinging from side to side as well as end to end? I use a 1-2-3 block without holes for side to side checks.

Lucky7

Lucky,

Thank you for the advice here. I went back and rechecked my work and low and behold, i believe i was high transversely when checking w/ a 123 solid block along the length of the SE.

I believe my error was focusing too much on the flatness along the length where i have taken many cuts down the middle just to avoid any errors in printing only to re circle back to square 1.

What i found was at the ends where i didn't pay much attention at all(due to the focus of keeping it concave longitudinally) was where it was convex transversely leading to the inconsistent printings I've been experiencing. I hope my analysis is correct at this point but it's worth a shot to proceed with these findings.

I've come up with a preliminary plan that I'd like to bounce off everyone as to my correction strategy.

I want to take circular "step" corrections down the middle until i get all four corners in contact. This will assure that I've got 4 extreme bearing points of the SE. Once that is achieved, i'll work my way back in by knocking down all the highs (working outside in) until everything comes in. My resolution (or PPI) if you will will stay around 20 as my cuts will stay tight and small so i'm hoping that when it comes in it'll be at a perfect place to spot for higher bearing.

What is everyone thoughts on this? I have attached a plan of attack for reference.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Rich,

I must have watched them several times. Stefan shows the 123 block method for checking convexity transversely which i skipped doing. The tid bits is what i'm figuring out here. Another "Ah Ha" moment that's all.

The videos were absolutely perfect for getting me to where i'm at now. but now I've realized i have a convexity problem i need to correct.

I'm not convinced because i cannot get reliably consistent prints. I'm at a PPI i'm happy with but it's a rocking chair i believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you cannot get a consistent pattern, it's possible the surface is out of flat across, on the short dimension.

You could try scraping a few passes in a strip down the middle 2/3 of the width or so, or just concentrate on scraping more deep in the middle.

18. Likes radiocontrolhead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One red flag that your part is convex across its width, when you go to hinge it on the plate usually it walks sideways across the plate as you sway the one end back and forth, not always, but if it does you may want to stop and check that.

20. Likes radiocontrolhead liked this post