Newbie Scraping a mini Mill - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had an experience way back in the days in a surveying course. Had to re-do a level circuit which meant tramping all over creation and going down and up a hill meaning LOTS of very short sights. Long story short, I suggested a way the team could hurry it up a little which resulted in a 46' back sight. You may know a pole a level sights to is 10' tall. The professor docked us a little but we got some credit for ingenuity and the professor's observation that the guys who are just a little bit lazy make the best surveyors. That's because they think about how to minimize the time and effort to accomplish the task.

Same thing for machine reconditioning. Think through the whole thing. One way may be a lot less work because you're removing material from a smaller surface. Oversimplified, would your rather scrape narrow ways to be parallel to the top of the table, or scrape the whole surface of the table to be parallel with the ways?

Thermite makes a point that's been stated before but bears repeating for the inexperienced.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    I had an experience way back in the days in a surveying course. Had to re-do a level circuit which meant tramping all over creation and going down and up a hill meaning LOTS of very short sights. Long story short, I suggested a way the team could hurry it up a little which resulted in a 46' back sight. You may know a pole a level sights to is 10' tall. The professor docked us a little but we got some credit for ingenuity and the professor's observation that the guys who are just a little bit lazy make the best surveyors. That's because they think about how to minimize the time and effort to accomplish the task.
    Rings all too familiar. Hilly Appalachia plus prickly pear thorn thickets. Taught to "boot" the rod, summer of '61.
    Same thing for machine reconditioning. Think through the whole thing. One way may be a lot less work because you're removing material from a smaller surface. Oversimplified, would your rather scrape narrow ways to be parallel to the top of the table, or scrape the whole surface of the table to be parallel with the ways?

Thermite makes a point that's been stated before but bears repeating for the inexperienced.
    Certainly not new with me. Was once called "Six P" Management.

"Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance"

Some days, some projects? Even the most experienced need a reminder as well.

A very general human thing to get ahead of ourselves down the wrong detour due to the confidence of over-familiarity.

Wife teases the Hell out of me for refusing to use GPS or even a MAP all over Europe.
    How did she think I was able to operate so well with no map?

40 year of getting LOST in ever-more interesting places is how!

Ain't as if it was Texas. Every METER looks different, most of Europe. The "signage" puts the US States to absolute shame. Anyway.. I am on holidays. I can afford the Diesel. Ain't gonna starve, nor even lack for a clean bed. The small Pensione or Gasthaus is where the loveliest people are, too.

Scraping.. lacks those identifiers and "road signs". One has to create, record, remember to analyze their own. Or go tired, hungry and suffer lack of sleep.

It, too, can get into 40 years in the wilderness, one starts with the wrong item and the plan and testing of pre-set milestones ain't well fitted to it.

Not as interesting as small village back country Europe, though.

Tedious tiring and lonely, rather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There he goes again with giberish. What does that have to do with rebuilding? Nothing.

Some babble that doesn't teach anything to anyone accept those who love reading that babble.

One of the Texas Students brought some Chinese V block combo Angle blocks that were sold as a matched pair and lol..one was 1/32" lower on the V. Another brought a Grizzly Mini Mill column (30" long") and it was off .004" low in the middle and a .003" twist.

If that's whats out there for machines now...talk about dumbing down America..and dumbing down the machine tool industry, yikes...

4. Likes Adwcali liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    There he goes again with giberish. What does that have to do with rebuilding? Nothing.

Some babble that doesn't teach anything to anyone accept those who love reading that babble.

One of the Texas Students brought some Chinese V block combo Angle blocks that were sold as a matched pair and lol..one was 1/32" lower on the V. Another brought a Grizzly Mini Mill column (30" long") and it was off .004" low in the middle and a .003" twist.

If that's whats out there for machines now...talk about dumbing down America..and dumbing down the machine tool industry, yikes...
    So? Just Quit if you don't fit.

While you are still "a head". Not some OTHER part of the anatomy.

In your ABSENCE? Some rather accomplished rebuilders managed to exchange useful information. And did not see the need to start a bun-fight over prestige. At all.

Surely you'll now have to go and find those posts and shit all over them for failure to kiss your Godlike anatomy in parallel?

It has been rather a long time now that we've expected anything else, sadly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look who's talking. Your the one who quit using Thermite, then started Monarchist...then here you were again. You Quit if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.. I had more to starting this forum then you ever did. Troll in here bladdring out of control. What credentials do you have to offer rebuilding advice to anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When was the last time you ever scraped anything??? Tell us please....show some photo's of you standing there with a scraper in your hand. Dee can tell us if it is you as he has met you. You must sit in front of your computer waiting 24/7 to troll into any forum you can babble talk in. . Now that sounds as if someone has a problem In my humble opinion that is.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    When was the last time you ever scraped anything??? Tell us please....show some photo's of you standing there with a scraper in your hand. Dee can tell us if it is you as he has met you. You must sit in front of your computer waiting 24/7 to troll into any forum you can babble talk in. . Now that sounds as if someone has a problem In my humble opinion that is.
    Last time for a crust? No later than January of 1965, and never anything but bronze bearing fits.

I have some need of the process. I've been able to hire it skillfully done, rather than waste my time learning a skill I'd not use but a very few times in such span of years as I have left.

Over long years, you have taught a great many people how to scrape, even when, where, and why - so as to be a part of a successful rebuild.

I shall have to settle for a good-enough, perhaps lesser skilled person. Perhaps NOT so lesser skilled.

Or do without.

You made yourself unemployable on behavioural grounds some time ago. The ego overhead cost is simply too damned high for reasonable folks to bear.

The internet has given you the "leverage" to destroy in a few short years the reputation you had earned in many long years.

You are a proving to be one seriously determined individual at taking advantage of that suicide kit.

Carry on, then.

You actually HAVE passed the torch of knowledge.

And to more and better men than even you care to brag are "all yours".

The world will have to make do with their services and the services of others who never even met you, nor cared to do.

It already was. It always will.

No one is indispensable. Some are just noisier than others at finding the exit stairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have thousands of satisfied customers and students who I am dam proud of who used to enjoy coming in here to ask questions. They emailed me asking to return because so much BS was being spread in here. I came back and saw for myself. After the last go around more came back and asked question when you and the "buddies" left and played elsewhere. All was fine until there you were again... I offered a peace treaty, but it appears you want to continue. You scraped years ago? What exactly did you scrape and where did you teach?

Like I said...I teach facts and Not made up BS. You may see it as ego. I see it as skilled craftsmanship I share. My students on here accept one or 2 guys who have chips on their shoulders. Maybe .02% of all my students have issues. I will be teaching a class in Springfield Vermont in April...how about you Bill come up and teach us something. Also Ewstley I will be teaching another class next month in Rockford IL. at Bourn & Koch...come on over and teach us something. Your both invited and can come no charge...be my guests.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get some sleep, Rich.

This notorious "mini-mill" can only stand up to but so many layers of your heavy shite before the metal fails in compression.

Whole world knows you are "the greatest". Whether they agree or not.

I simply have laundry to do.

That, at least, doesn't try to self-destruct.

Not YET anyway.

Maybe I just don't have enough Canode or High Spot blue carried into the brain, thence to my nether parts, to frighten it that badly?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by radiocontrolhead View Post
    i want to learn to scrape somethign relatively inexpensive so i don't damage something that wasn't garbage to begin with. If the frick something up on this rig, oh well, cheap lesson learned.
    That's fair and realistic enough. Some among the rest of us are not so realistic.

Don't quit. The thread has had more value than was expected, given the machine involved.

It was not, after all, the major player.

The learning process is.

No one holds a personal patent on that, either. Feel free to build your own, no royalties required. Not even ass-kissing, however cheap - or dear - it might seem.

12. Likes AlexO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    That's fair and realistic enough. Some among the rest of us are not so realistic.

Don't quit. The thread has had more value than was expected, given the machine involved.

It was not, after all, the major player.

Learning is. No one holds a personal patent on that, either. Build your own.

Don't plan to but didn't expect any of what happened here and the other thread to be a product of this post...

Regardless of which machine, in my opinion, is completely irrelevant to the process of scraping for alignment. I'm working on a turd, I get that.

Some progress was made since my last post. Because I again, wanted to use the top of base as reference (for my own benefit of learning to step scrape and flatten) I've managed to bring the front edge of the top down and parallel to the existing dovetail flat within a thou. I'll document later with pictures later.

Still waiting on my dovetail straightedge to come in so that I can flatten and correct the dovetail flats. Bottom of base has been corrected as well to be parallel within a thou to the base top (for practice and for no other good reason.) MY plan is to next work on the dovetail flat after the straightedge is scraped.

15. Likes thermite liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by radiocontrolhead View Post
    Don't plan to but didn't expect any of what happened here and the other thread to be a product of this post...
    Do not take any of that "blame" - if even there IS "blame" - on your own head.

It was NOT - any of it - a product of this post.

Some folks just cannot measure their self-worth without an enemies list, constant focus on gathering of pity, or convenient excuses to refresh their supply of both.
    Regardless of which machine, in my opinion, is completely irrelevant to the process of scraping for alignment. I'm working on a turd, I get that.
    To your great credit, there never was a time you had not recognized it, and in advance.

Some of us just had a slow start in accepting that you already knew that, and figured to turn it to beneficial use, anyway.

Wellll. the first-time-ever I called in an airstrike, the A4 was real enough.
    The bombs, however, were filled with ignorant concrete, there was no 20-mil.
    The muddy demo range didn't seem to much mind.

I only ever did that one more time. Two A4's that go. Full load. 20-mil, too. But NO concrete.
    There wasn't enough left of a village near Long Binh, RVN to "mind", either.
    Sniping, mortaring, rocket annoyances, as had been interfering with our work ceased rather abruptly, too, though.
    Guess we at least whacked the right village?

Yah just never know what sort of practice might turn useful, when, or where.