What's new
What's new

Nice shiny looking metal surfaces

priitm

Aluminum
Taking apart and renovation old machine means normally also cleaning all rusty surfaces. Although this is not most important to have every paintfree area looking fresh, it is impressive to see it looking like new.
What methods are best to achieve it not influencing geometry ? I am using scotch pads, but never measured after treatment how many microns they take off.

Personally I prefer keeping the weathered (conditioned) patina of steel (any red rust removed carefully). Scotchbrite with WD is good to lift the grime out of wear surfaces. Like new, honestly requires a process similar to how it was finished in the first place... Do you really want to remanufacture your machine? it's intended to be keep being used and wear is part of life.

It's very easy to make a knackered working surface shine like a new pin. Unless your intention is to dupe a prospective buyer why would you though?

Personally I do not care about patina.
But you are right, buyers expect that well reconditioned machine is and looks as new.

I think you have missed my point somewhat.

What I got from what he wrote is that the machine should BE "as new", meaning truly reconditioned, BUT even if perfect like new as far as working, if the machine LOOKS like it was salvaged from a shipwreck, rusty and nasty on the non-working surfaces, then people might wonder if they got their money's worth, or if it really was reconditioned.

Basically that if the machine is "as new" for working, it should LOOK like it as well as BE like new.

No, thats not how it is. He's asking about 'reconditioning' the ways with scotchbrite.

What methods are best to achieve it not influencing geometry ? I am using scotch pads, but never measured after treatment how many microns they take off.

Had a fellow machinist tell me that all one needed to rebuild and old lathe was to re-scrape all the areas that the scraper marks were worn off. I think he made reference to an Atlas lathe he once owned, probably thought it was hard to make good parts with and sold it. I almost wasted the time to try to tell him different but decided to walk away from that one.
Dan

What I got from what he wrote is that the machine should BE "as new", meaning truly reconditioned, BUT even if perfect like new as far as working, if the machine LOOKS like it was salvaged from a shipwreck, rusty and nasty on the non-working surfaces, then people might wonder if they got their money's worth, or if it really was reconditioned.

Basically that if the machine is "as new" for working, it should LOOK like it as well as BE like new.

Yes, if customer is looking machine, where all important parts are truly renovated and only thing is that metal is covered with some patina color at some places, it is sometimes difficult to explain why it is so. Only visual aspect, but can influence price significantly. Do not expect that people who read money, are familiar with machine renovation.

Evaporust will remove only the rust, and not the original metal. It does this through a chemical process with the iron oxide. It is not an acid. If you can get it in Estonia, I would suggest trying that.

I also like to use bronze wool. It is like steel wool, only made from bronze. It is used in woodworking and refinishing as lost fibers do not rust and stain the work. I like it as it is softer than steel and cast iron, and cannot scratch or damage the surface being cleaned.

No, thats not how it is. He's asking about 'reconditioning' the ways with scotchbrite.

He did not say that. He never said he was using scotchbrite on the ways. He implies that he is paying special attention to the important areas (like ways) with better methods, then just wants to "clean up" other non critical areas.
However, we do have a little bit of language barrier in this thread, since we have folks from at least 4 different countries already.

I like wd40 degreaser (yellow top) and fine steel/brass wool to clean. If I want to clean up the surface, I've been using the maroon scotchbrite pads (7447b).

Back