What's new
What's new

Novice Australian scraper new to the forum

Marcuschrist

Aluminum
Just thought I'd introduce myself, I'm a 22 year old machinist with a job shop in burliegh on the goldcoast, it's quite a small factory about 140 m² notably with two manual mills(a bridgport clone and a Russian universal heavy duty mill) and a DSG lathe among my other tooling. April of this year I flew over to Denmark to attend Richard Kings scraping class which I thoroughly enjoyed. Since then I've purchased a Biax which is on its way from the states and two large camelback straight edges a 60" & 74" along with a double sided 48" knife edge camelback which I'll be picking up from sydney soon. I've yet to pick out a suitable surface plate and was hoping someone might know of a large broken CMM that I could pillage the granite plate from. I can't imagine there would be many locals interested in starting a hobby machining/scraping/machine rebuilding club but if anyone would like I would be very open to the idea. I generally work in imperial and have a huge array of whitworth, BSF, cycle thread, UNC, UNF, UNEF etc taps and dies so if you're in the area working on an english/american machine feel free to come borrow a tap if needed. I also have a 4.5tonne carhoist here in the shop should anyone need a hand working on their cars , I'm not very inclined to autowork but quite a few of my friend come by and use it as they cannot afford to go to a mechanic.

Just thought I'd introduce myself, I'm a 22 year old machinist with a job shop in burliegh on the goldcoast, it's quite a small factory about 140 m² notably with two manual mills(a bridgport clone and a Russian universal heavy duty mill) and a DSG lathe among my other tooling. April of this year I flew over to Denmark to attend Richard Kings scraping class which I thoroughly enjoyed. Since then I've purchased a Biax which is on its way from the states and two large camelback straight edges a 60" & 74" along with a double sided 48" knife edge camelback which I'll be picking up from sydney soon. I've yet to pick out a suitable surface plate and was hoping someone might know of a large broken CMM that I could pillage the granite plate from. I can't imagine there would be many locals interested in starting a hobby machining/scraping/machine rebuilding club but if anyone would like I would be very open to the idea. I generally work in imperial and have a huge array of whitworth, BSF, cycle thread, UNC, UNF, UNEF etc taps and dies so if you're in the area working on an english/american machine feel free to come borrow a tap if needed. I also have a 4.5tonne carhoist here in the shop should anyone need a hand working on their cars , I'm not very inclined to autowork but quite a few of my friend come by and use it as they cannot afford to go to a mechanic.
You might try joining the down under forum. http://metalworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65
Then try searching "Melbourne Scraping class". You need to be a member to see the pictures.

I've seldom put a thread or pictures of what we get up to down here. But there was one occasion.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ion/melbourne-australia-scraping-class-291250

Richard King seems to be having a break from the forum. I've personally meet Jan. He was down here for an exhibition in his industry 2 years back.

You might contact me. I'm about to announce another round of classes. On the downunder forum. I've been dragging my heels. We have a list of 30+ blokes. I love/ hate them. Love the weekend, guys that are just like a big sponge, willing to suck in knowledge. Hate them because I have to shut my shop down,for a week to pull them off.

Unlike Rich.King. Scrapping classes are a long way from being the core business. He makes his living from that. I'm a trained machine tool builder., scrapping is a side line. But I coordinate scraping classes with Dr. Marko.
He's yin, I'm Yang.

Phil.

Hi and welcome. You would be surprised at the very enthusiastic group down under that is interested in scraping/machine restoration. Phil (Machtool)and Marko are the resident experts and maybe 50 blokes have done scrapping courses with them. I am one of them and can highly recommend it if Phil decides to run another. Feel free to join the metalwork forum Phil links to above, lot of good blokes and plenty of free advice.

PS Phil, I have not forgotten that I owe you a good bottle scotch for your help with picking up the planer in Sydney. Might even have to help you drink it next time I'm in Melbourne.

Cheers, Mark

You might try joining the down under forum. http://metalworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65
Then try searching "Melbourne Scraping class". You need to be a member to see the pictures.

I've seldom put a thread or pictures of what we get up to down here. But there was one occasion.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ion/melbourne-australia-scraping-class-291250

Richard King seems to be having a break from the forum. I've personally meet Jan. He was down here for an exhibition in his industry 2 years back.

You might contact me. I'm about to announce another round of classes. On the downunder forum. I've been dragging my heels. We have a list of 30+ blokes. I love/ hate them. Love the weekend, guys that are just like a big sponge, willing to suck in knowledge. Hate them because I have to shut my shop down,for a week to pull them off.

Unlike Rich.King. Scrapping classes are a long way from being the core business. He makes his living from that. I'm a trained machine tool builder., scrapping is a side line. But I coordinate scraping classes with Dr. Marko.
He's yin, I'm Yang.

Phil.

I spent the week with Jan, Richard and stefan at a summerhouse while we attended the course, really nice group of guys. Was great meeting stefan after watching so many of his youtube video's and I actually ended up giving him my Boley watchmakers lathe to look after in Germany as I never used the dam thing and he always seems to be working on the smallest parts.

I don't often get to take a break from the shop but I'd love to come to one of your classes if the dates work out well. I'm still searching for a decent sized surface plate and the one local company that apparently sells surface plates in the size I'm looking for hasn't gotten back to me with prices even after a followup call. The minimum size I'm looking for is something around 1600mm x 1000mm to accommodate my mill table diagonally, this cmm fits the bill but I have no idea what condition the plates in or if 2.5k is a fair price. any advice would be much appreciated.
Rapid Check - Marking out table - Big Granite Slab | eBay

Hi and welcome. You would be surprised at the very enthusiastic group down under that is interested in scraping/machine restoration. Phil (Machtool)and Marko are the resident experts and maybe 50 blokes have done scrapping courses with them. I am one of them and can highly recommend it if Phil decides to run another. Feel free to join the metalwork forum Phil links to above, lot of good blokes and plenty of free advice.

PS Phil, I have not forgotten that I owe you a good bottle scotch for your help with picking up the planer in Sydney. Might even have to help you drink it next time I'm in Melbourne.

Cheers, Mark

Good to know mark, Will definitely join the forum

are the resident experts and maybe 50 blokes have done scrapping courses with them.
Last year Australia day weekend, we were up to 73. They keep coming out of the wood work. Greg (Strayalien) got on the job too rattle up more interest. He has a list of about 30. That means two classes. He put an add in "Gumtree" Our version of Craigslist or Kijiji. He found 6 blokes from there.

If Jan happen's to read this. I need to hunt down the Aussie that had to pull out of the first Nordic classes. I'll do what I can do to make it up to him. You might contact me, I think I've lost your email.
I have not forgotten that I owe you a good bottle scotch for your help with picking up the planer in Sydney.
Your talking my currency.

As Ox would say, that story needs Splainin Lucy. Mark has a fine eye for finding quality equipment. For those of you that don't know him, he's a purveyor of fine machine tools. He does things like buy the Mitsui Seiki Jig Borer out of the Qantas Mascot, Sydney maintenance shop.

He bought a planner, not 300 metres from the runway at Sydney Airport. Its on Botany Bay. Roads under the Airport are all tunnels. It took a bit of planning to extract it. Over width and over height.

For my part, all I did was weigh it. I was on my way to a job in Sydney anyway. So I drove up on a Sunday, so I could look at Mark's planner on a down day. All I had to do was jack it up, sit it on 3 points, then jack each point and note the pressure off a 10T Enerpac jack. I had to be on site Monday A.M any way with a truck full of gear. Absolutely no skin of my nose.

Regards Phil.

For those who like photos.
The planer is a all electric summerhill-swift planer in pristine condition. It has 12ft stroke, fully variable forward and reverse speed, automatic tool lift, pressured table lubrication and powered cross and down feed.

3f956561-531b-45c1-a058-4d98461006f8.jpg824f062c-86cc-4c99-a906-30e688e77e5b.jpgddc40ef3-7bbf-4e7b-be20-60967a75a1e0.jpg32abf57b-8784-4988-9c45-8b952361e4a6.jpg

This is a slightly blurry picture of my Mitsui seiki 5A jig borer.

037.jpg

you appear to have saved the thumbnails instead of the actual photos but dam that's a nice planer. what did it end up costing you?

For those who like photos.
The planer is a all electric summerhill-swift planer in pristine condition. It has 12ft stroke, fully variable forward and reverse speed, automatic tool lift, pressured table lubrication and powered cross and down feed.

View attachment 203208View attachment 203209View attachment 203210View attachment 203211

This is a slightly blurry picture of my Mitsui seiki 5A jig borer.

View attachment 203212

Very nice looking planer. It's supposed to read " Swift-Summerskill ".

Regards Tyrone.

that's a nice planer. what did it end up costing you?

The planer was not expensive. But the cost of moving it home exceeded the price of the machine and I moved it myself. It weighs 16 tonne (35,000lbs) and took 4 days of work to drain oils,remove counterweight, electrically disconnect, skate out of the confined space it was in, load onto the truck and get it home. It originally had a DC drive system (ward-Leonard) but this was causing problems and was changed to an 32Hp AC motor with electronic controller. It has done almost no work. It was originally purchased by a government department for supposedly a single job and sold at a later date. The following owner has a press die business and was planning to use it for this but sadly passed away before it was put to service. I also have a vintage 8ft stroke Hulse planer that is being restored and close to being done. They complement my Churchill slideway grinder. At the moment I'm building a purpose built shed with overhead gantry crane to house them.

Is this a family affair? Surely you're not doing this alone at age 22.

Never heard of a Swift Summerskill. Is that an English machine? Looks to be in mint condition.

How about some pictures of the rest of the equipment?

Never heard of a Swift Summerskill. Is that an English machine? Looks to be in mint condition.

Yep its English and it is in great condition.

Hardinge lathe.jpg This is all metric HLV-H lathe

SIP circular dividing engine.jpgThis is a beautiful SIP circular dividing engine. I also have a similar SIP linear dividing engine and a smaller Gaertner circular dividing engine

A couple pictures of my Churchill slideway grinder when we moved it
023.jpg
024.jpg

010.jpg A13x42 DSG lathe

Hope you enjoy these.

Is this a family affair? Surely you're not doing this alone at age 22.

My grandfather loaned me 25k to buy my first mill and lathe, I used to drop by every week to tell him about the jobs I was doing and ideas I had machine awkward jobs. It was a great way to keep his mind active even after he couldn't tinker anymore. He passed away about two years ago, I miss him quite a lot I really wish he could see me now. My dads been an amazing help, isn't very mechanically minded but if something goes wrong or I need help he's always dropped everything. so its basically just me machining here and I don't really have anyone close to me that I can talk to about my work but I recently met up with owen through another forum who I first met at the auction for my DSG lathe. He's actually on the way to pick up his trailer to bring me a shaper he's selling to be for scrap value. Was really nice to catch up and chat, he always seems to go really far out of his way to help me. Will hopefully give him a hand rebuilding his colchester one day to make up for it all.

My grandfather loaned me 25k to buy my first mill and lathe, I used to drop by every week to tell him about the jobs I was doing and ideas I had machine awkward jobs. It was a great way to keep his mind active even after he couldn't tinker anymore. He passed away about two years ago, I miss him quite a lot I really wish he could see me now. My dads been an amazing help, isn't very mechanically minded but if something goes wrong or I need help he's always dropped everything. so its basically just me machining here and I don't really have anyone close to me that I can talk to about my work but I recently met up with owen through another forum who I first met at the auction for my DSG lathe. He's actually on the way to pick up his trailer to bring me a shaper he's selling to be for scrap value. Was really nice to catch up and chat, he always seems to go really far out of his way to help me. Will hopefully give him a hand rebuilding his colchester one day to make up for it all.

Well done to you and I hope you go far with your machining ambitions.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark
I am over in Inverell and currently have a kondia milling machine in for grinding and scraping of the ways but have always wanted to learn to do this myself. What wer the classes like? Now that you’ve done the classes are you going to offer lessons?
Chris.

Back