What's new
What's new

OAKLAND California REBUILDING CLASS - MAY OF 2018

Richard King

Diamond
Just finalized the dates with the 3 time host / organizer DH Mayeron who lives in Berkeley. Class will be in Oakland CA area from Wednesday May 16 - 20, 2018. We have been getting a lot of interest for a West Coast Class. DH has been talking to a Job Shop in Oakland who wants to host the class. PM me for more info. I will add more info when I get it. The 5 day class is open to basic and advanced students. Rich

Just finalized the dates with the 3 time host / organizer DH Mayeron who lives in Berkeley. Class will be in Oakland CA area from Wednesday May 16 - 20, 2018. We have been getting a lot of interest for a West Coast Class. DH has been talking to a Job Shop in Oakland who wants to host the class. PM me for more info. I will add more info when I get it. The 5 day class is open to basic and advanced students. Rich
Hi Rich, count me in in if there is an overhead crane
Dave

Tonight the class date has been changed to one week prior.
As our Host DH Mayeron discovered he has a prior commitment he could not change.
So now the class date is Wednesday MAY 9 TH to Monday May 13, 2018 in small machine shop located in Oakland CA.
Private message me and include your Email address and I will forward you the info.

Thanks...Rich

We found a shop 10 minutes from Oakland International Airport. If your signed up please email me if you didn't get an email last night. My laptop died and I'm not sure I noticed everyone. I bought a new one today, but they say it will take 24 hours to transfer files.
I can use my cell phone until then. Thanks. Rich

We have had so many people interested in this class and have signed up and there is a waiting list we will be doing a back to back or another 5 day class the week after this one. So starting May 15 we will do another 5 day class. I just completed a class near Sacramento yesterday and today I am going sightseeing in the Meir State Park and see the 1000 year old Redwood tree's before flying home. :-) If you want to attend the 2nd class PM me or write [email protected] :-)

UPDATE: The Oakland class that is being held in San Leandro about 6 miles from Oakland CA airport had 3 of the students that had signed up for that class switched to the next week's class in Petaluma CA, so we have 3 open slots now. Also accepting 2 or 3 day students. Send a PM or email to [email protected] to sign up. Rich

Just checking in. The First class is going well, our host and PM Member Tim has been so helpfull and kind to let us ise his shop. We have 11 plus DH our Oakland Coordinator. Had a bit of bad luck when some AHole broke into our rental car in broad daylight as we ordered breakfast 50 feet away in fast food place. More on that later.

Day 4 today. The students are all starting projext now. Straight edges, surface plates, angle blocks, compounds, etc. Have 2 MD's, a real Rocket Scientist who works for Space X, several retired engineers who are hobbyists, journeyman machinists a cabinet makers.

2 more fun days left. Today we glue and sxrape Turcite, align a lathe, do geometry tests on a mill, lathe ans surface grinder. Plus the projects. 2 students are only wanting to learn how to scrape 40 PPI. End Sunday have monday off. Then do the Petaluma class that now has 10 students. More later with pictures.

Rich

First of all, many thanks to Richard and Tim for giving me the opportunity to attend this class!

Let me admit I tend to be, and was, an obnoxious student. I was only present half the time (got into the class on short notice and had overlapping obligations) and when I was there, proceeded to be annoying, loud, disruptive, etc. on numerous occasions.

Despite all that, Richard put up with me and took me from someone that never considered scraping seriously to understanding how to operate the Biax scraper:

Early on:
IMG_8268.jpg

A bit later:
IMG_8300.jpg
IMG_8303.jpg

I was quite impressed with my progress... Richard truly opened up my eyes to the potential of what a Biax power scraper can do if you follow some simple rules and focus on what you are doing. It's truly amazing what can happen if you just focus on the class! I don't feel I gave it a devoted enough effort. And the results are still way better than I expected.

Again, Richard and Tim, thank you for putting up with me and teaching me how to scrape and operate a Biax! Had a great time and met a lot of interesting people as well. We need to do this again... Let me know if you want to hold another class in the area, I'm temped to host next time.

Thanks,
Alex K.

First of all, many thanks to Richard and Tim for giving me the opportunity to attend this class!

Let me admit I tend to be, and was, an obnoxious student. I was only present half the time (got into the class on short notice and had overlapping obligations) and when I was there, proceeded to be annoying, loud, disruptive, etc. on numerous occasions.

Despite all that, Richard put up with me and took me from someone that never considered scraping seriously to understanding how to operate the Biax scraper:

Early on:
View attachment 228479

A bit later:
View attachment 228480
View attachment 228481

I was quite impressed with my progress... Richard truly opened up my eyes to the potential of what a Biax power scraper can do if you follow some simple rules and focus on what you are doing. It's truly amazing what can happen if you just focus on the class! I don't feel I gave it a devoted enough effort. And the results are still way better than I expected.

Again, Richard and Tim, thank you for putting up with me and teaching me how to scrape and operate a Biax! Had a great time and met a lot of interesting people as well. We need to do this again... Let me know if you want to hold another class in the area, I'm temped to host next time.

Thanks,
Alex K.

That surface looks beautiful man. woah.

Thanks everyone who came and brought your personal tools to make it happen! Thanks Tim and his Dad who volunteered their amazing shop. To DH and John York for helping us organize it and lend us tools.

Thanks Alex for the kind words...you were a fun and difficult student...lol Alex is a super smart man and after he asked his questions and then doing it his way for a while he began to listen and "got it" as all do sooner or later. For those in CA and you need a CNC machine repair, alignment issue, have a Monarch or need your Monarch rebuilt contact him as he not only is a electronics tech he is a dam good repairman and he can now scrape your machines. :-) I wish I had taken more pictures and a class picture. I was whipped and the robbery of our backpacks on day 3 I was a stressed a bit. Im now up in Novada CA ready to teach CA class 2 in Peteluma tomorrow. Rich

20180513_111329.jpg20180510_122205.jpg20180510_122201.jpg20180511_105639.jpg

Here are a few more pictures. One of the students brought a green machine saddle and compound and we made it 1000% better
, other projects are a Monarch EE lathe compound, Italian lathe compound, a 18 x 24" B&S cast Iron surface plate and angle blocks. Today we will be doing those, scraping Rulon, aligning a lathe, testing squareness on the Bridgeport, etc.

For those who would like to learn this too, we will be doing another class in Ohio in August at John Saunders who is NYC CNC on You Tube. Also will be rebuilding a lathe in MN in June & July, Alex maybe teaching a class in India while I am teaching a class in Austria in November. Also we will be teaching a class in GA in January at Keith Rucker's shop (Vintage Machinery on You Tube) Also am thinking of doing a advanced class in Portland at Columbia Forge and back here in CA in 2019. Anyone else interested in doing an advanced class where we will be scraping a complete machine in a 1 or 2 week class let me know.

Attachments

• 20180517_162718.jpg
    20180517_162718.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 20180517_165255.jpg
    20180517_165255.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 20180517_140112.jpg
    20180517_140112.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 20180517_140116.jpg
    20180517_140116.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 20180517_162749.jpg
    20180517_162749.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 90
Ill put some more pics on later today. Im now at SFO airport ready to boatd. Theclass ended great. Zack from Austin Texas finished his 10 EE compound 95%, Hanns from Seattle finished his lathe compound 100%, Garth scaped his large angle plate to 30 PPI and within .0002 square in 4 directions, Erik, Kieth and Rich fom CA finished their projects too. We checked Rosses like new Webb lathe and its like new tolerance (he wants to trade it for Hardinge tool room lathe). Micheal also from CA finished his sweet CI surface plate.... John York, David and DH dropped by to help and observe.

It ended well and Hanns and Garth invited us to teach in their shop in Seatle in the spring of 2019. Thanks everyone. Rich

I didn't take as many pic's as I thought. These are of Ross the host shops Webb Lathe and we did the 2 collar test and Tail Stock test. It was within .0002" / 8" on back side, big nearest chuck- taper on bar and we indicated the top of bar TDC and it was .0005" low on Tailstock end. Then we turned bar down on tailstock end the same size of tail stock quill and it was .0005 side to side and we set it at .0002" and top was only low .001" so I said good enough on the 3" OD bar. (only bar he had and he didn't want to cut it shorter). Pic's of bar and My Son Alex when we drove over Golden Gate Bridge on way to SFO airport. Another close to some good classes. Rich

Attachments

• 20180518_154657.jpg
    20180518_154657.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 62
  • 20180518_154634.jpg
    20180518_154634.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20180519_183950.jpg
    20180519_183950.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 20180519_184049.jpg
    20180519_184049.jpg