What's new
What's new

odd slideway grinder

It certainly is a interesting lash-up of spacers, green paint and a quill stuck out to the max, but I wonder what kind of results it gets. Often, looks can be deceiving, and the shop owners who built that monster had a good basic idea..IMHO. As my dear old dad used to say.."whatever gets the job done".;)

Stuart

Think I would have added a wider catch apron (at about 1:20) to catch more sparks.
But it looks like it works...

Looks like a little bounce to the wheel top..i would dress that for smoother running...
Likely dresses all the needed angles to the wheel OD...

Around 1:20 they're using with the head nodding down but I can't see the wheel what surface they're cutting. I wondered about fine control and towards the beginning there's something that looks like the barrel of a direct reading tenths micrometer head spliced onto a block on the right side of the head but can't tell any more.

Anyone can make shitload of sparks with a hand grinder.It will look nice but would it be any good? who knows.

1:43 looks like head is tilted...Think I would keep hear straight and have wheels to tickle with needed angles..

Presuming there is even money for wheels...

Yah don't really, really appreciate just how brilliant desperate "tool making animal" humankind can be.. until you see some guy in a dirt-poor country hand forging a rather superb and FUNCTIONAL Nepalese "Kukri" out of a busted Japanese pickup truck leaf spring, his open-air charcoal-fueled forge merely a wide spot along the gravel shoulder of a 2-lane sort-of blacktopped road.

Columbia.. is rather well-off, modern, and well-educated.... relatively, even without the drug biz.

Colombia GDP per capita | 196-218 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

So this grinder is "high tech" by some standards.

Saw this on the youtube , looks like its made from a big lathe bed and a bridgeport.
Dont like the small contact area of a saddle for precision grinding..
M&G - Rectificadora de grandes piezas - YouTube

There's something about the lathe bed they're using that says " Binns & Berry " to me. The " Trident " style bedways and one or two details of the saddle.
I suppose if your lathe bed is really worn that machine will get it nearer. I can't see it getting things bang on though.

Regards Tyrone

There was /is a local crowd here had a proper Churchill slideway grinder.....the operator/s couldnt be bothered setting any thing up properly,and produced rubbish results...the last job they did for me,they definitely changed their minds and took a second lick at a different setting/angle.So quality gear doesnt mean much with rubbish young operators.Good on the third world machine shops on the road verge.At least they try.

Surely that's a Borazon wheel. How do you dress that for different angles?

Agree dressing a CBN wheel to different angle would be out of the question...

I have dressed CBN wheels but just for true-up with roller dresses and even with grinding with a diamond wheel.also had a green wheel set-up to grind CBNs It worked but ate up a lot of the green wheel for just a little of the CBN...

One could perhaps indicate in the wheel OD but with not being able to dress would/may begin to wear to chatter so dressing would be needed IMHO. Seems a CBN wheel running dry would also be a problem on such a long grind..

There used to be a guy named Ed Hadley who Apprenticed under my Dad, and stated a rebuilding company and he had an old planner he used a AC drive and Bridgeport head with Borzon wheel but he used a mister as he said the wheel grind would warp the ways. Pretty cleaver on the lathe useage. I hope the bed of the lathe are not worn...lol. one advantage of a planer is it's like a surface grinder and single point contact. 😎

There used to be a guy named Ed Hadley who Apprenticed under my Dad, and stated a rebuilding company and he had an old planner he used a AC drive and Bridgeport head with Borzon wheel but he used a mister as he said the wheel grind would warp the ways. Pretty cleaver on the lathe useage. I hope the bed of the lathe are not worn...lol. one advantage of a planer is it's like a surface grinder and single point contact. ��

Yeah, old planers are very forgiving of wear and tear.

Regards Tyrones

I would expect it to work very well....for a time..
With shielding to the travel bed ways it would be a good machine IMHO

likely have to grind /mill a notch in the flat bed way so the shield could protect that part...perhaps have a felt wick so even air could not get past.

Back