What's new
What's new

Off to the Maryland scrape communion....

Bring some Off bug spray. I unloaded my van and got bit about 5 times. I got in around 4:15.....unloaded and now I'm at the Holiday Inn. Paolo's benches look great...a lot of toys for us to work on too. See you around 7:45 AM. Rich

Bring some Off bug spray. I unloaded my van and got bit about 5 times. I got in around 4:15.....unloaded and now I'm at the Holiday Inn. Paolo's benches look great...a lot of toys for us to work on too. See you around 7:45 AM. Rich

hope make it there by then...maybe start a bit earlier.....
i bring some bug spray :).

dee
;-D

Stuff packed up in the back of the Mini. heading out 6 am to be there in time. pretty straightforward route :)

dee
;-D

Dee anyone besides You and Richard from PM group going to be there?

Don't forget your camera we like updates with lots of pictures. Have fun...

Brent

It's going at full blast!

The class is proceeding at full swing. It started this morning with a classroom session.

_IGP2943.jpg

And continued this afternoon with hand-scraping exercises. Bob is not only the most senior student in the class. He's also the most advanced scrapers and has left reached 20 PPI and 40 PPI by hand well in advance of everybody else.
_DSC3171.jpg _DSC3172.jpg

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll have more time for taking a few more (and better) pictures.

Paolo

Another full day at the class

The second day was spent finishing hand-scraping the cast iron bar to at least 20 ppi, for then flaking and then canceling hours of hard work by roughing it with the Biax and starting the whole process again in the mechanized way.
After learning how to power-flake, some of the students are now starting to work on their personal projects.

Here following are a few pictures taken during the day.

_DSC3173.jpg _DSC3178.jpg _DSC3185.jpg _DSC3188.jpg _DSC3190.jpg

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm unable to upload pictures in portrait orientation. I'll try debugging the problem with a bit more lucidity tomorrow.

Paolo

Looks good Dee, the trick to photographing metal is have someone hold a card card or other light blocker over the direct light, move it around until the reflection is gone in the viewfinder or screen & only indirect light strikes the part and is reflected to camera lens. Then you should have a good image, Metal is indeed tough to photograph. Also a good coat of yellow highlighter helps some too.

BTW did anyone one hear any chickens clucking in the class yet? :)

LOL...Warren your something else...made me smile reading that one.......there were a few clucks Friday and Saturday...lol This has been a rough class...13 students and I was thinking yesterday It was like a chicken with his head cut off answering all the questions and walking from bench to bench...Time flies bye, but it is hard on me. Had to sit down a lot... but I need get back on my diet that's for sure. I should share...I was waiting to meet Dee with all his former posts and who he sometimes supports I was apprehensive .... but he is a very likeable man who's doing very good..he had to re-learn some info that was told to him especially using a wet 6" long stone....he, like you Warren broke the stone into a little one after he discovered his edges were getting rounded off and he had 80% contact.

Oh and in the parking lot was a Mini Cooper with a fuzz buster....I suspected who it belonged too...and sure enough it was Dee...lol...he did say in disgust it cost him $3000.00 to get the cutch replaced...but it's a neat little car. Dee as many of the students are doing great. Bob who owns a shop in Richmond and has worked with a rebuilder and scraped a little is leading the class at his young age of 75 I think.

Paolo has done an amazing job organizing the class.. he also runs around helping plus learning, his HD work benches he made are super.. All in all this like all of my classes are fun, but tiring. These guys will hear some jokes today. Yesterday there was a loud boom....one of the 36" floresant lights feel down...scared he H out of me...The working museum is something everyone needs to see. If you get a chance to come here you have to stop by for an event. They have I'm guessing 50 belt driven machines in working condition that run. Also have steam tractors, gas tractors all over the place. An amazing show of history and the volunteers love their 60 acres of history. The class is going good...thanks everyone. Got to scoot....Rich

Last edited:
Iron is being removed

View attachment 182010View attachment 182011

hard to photograph

dee
;-D

Witch one of them ugly mugs is you? We all know Richard. There's a little side bet going on weather or you got any hair? I wanting to let everyone know where to send the money.:D

Only kidding Dee! What you have in the pictures looks really good!! Hope you fellas are having a good time and learning a ton.

Brent

Witch one of them ugly mugs is you? We all know Richard. There's a little side bet going on weather or you got any hair? I wanting to let everyone know where to send the money.:D

Only kidding Dee! What you have in the pictures looks really good!! Hope you fellas are having a good time and learning a ton.

Brent

have you ever looked at my avatar?

dad_by_strangerthanever-d4jf77t.jpg

that is actually was fashioned by my daughter after me, no quality assigned to the the subject but she won a national scholastic gold medal for it which she was going to receive at carnegie hall, but did not respond early enough to participate in the gala, so it was mailed to her.

no hair

dee
;-D

LOL...Warren your something else...made me smile reading that one.......there were a few clucks Friday and Saturday...lol This has been a rough class...13 students and I was thinking yesterday It was like a chicken with his head cut off answering all the questions and walking from bench to bench...Time flies bye, but it is hard on me. Had to sit down a lot... but I need get back on my diet that's for sure. I should share...I was waiting to meet Dee with all his former posts and who he sometimes supports I was apprehensive .... but he is a very likeable man who's doing very good..he had to re-learn some info that was told to him especially using a wet 6" long stone....he, like you Warren broke the stone into a little one after he discovered his edges were getting rounded off and he had 80% contact.

Oh and in the parking lot was a Mini Cooper with a fuzz buster....I suspected who it belonged too...and sure enough it was Dee...lol...he did say in disgust it cost him $3000.00 to get the cutch replaced...but it's a neat little car. Dee as many of the students are doing great. Bob who owns a shop in Richmond and has worked with a rebuilder and scraped a little is leading the class at his young age of 75 I think.

Paolo has done an amazing job organizing the class.. he also runs around helping plus learning, his HD work benches he made are super.. All in all this like all of my classes are fun, but tiring. These guys will hear some jokes today. Yesterday there was a loud boom....one of the 36" floresant lights feel down...scared he H out of me...The working museum is something everyone needs to see. If you get a chance to come here you have to stop by for an event. They have I'm guessing 50 belt driven machines in working condition that run. Also have steam tractors, gas tractors all over the place. An amazing show of history and the volunteers love their 60 acres of history. The class is going good...thanks everyone. Got to scoot....Rich

I cannot say enough about the folks at Takahoe. If you are anywhere near the DC/Annapolis/Baltimore region you owe to yourself to see the place. If i was a chick there is no way i could resist Paolo's accent ...good thing i am not. Since i am not one, i am fatally attracted to the the old cast iron in the place. I am also thinking .....foundry?

dee
;-D

More cast iron is getting chipped away...

Today, after terminating the exercises with the power scrapers, the majority of us moved on to work on our personal projects.
This was also the last day of class for two of the students and, from tomorrow, we will be "only" 11.

Here are a few pictures taken today, including the group picture.
_DSC3215.jpg

_DSC3196.jpg

_DSC3198.jpg

_DSC3200.jpg

_DSC3204.jpg

Dee is a rock too, he was get rule number 3 down to .0015 or a little more. He is compact and said he used to bike 30 miles a day. A rock, a nice guy, great at rule 1 and 2 and straight lines across his 12 x 14" cast iron plate, funny and drives a Mini Cooper.... We also added rule #5 like the Texas class as it has been raining a lot. Everyone is now working on a project; straight-edges, plates, angle blocks, lathe cross slides, compounds. We are passing around the BL-10 too and many like using it. More lather... Rich

More pictures (apologies, but PM keep rotating all the portrait pictures and it has shrunk the group picture beyond acceptable).

_DSC3211.jpg

_DSC3216.jpg

_DSC3217.jpg

_DSC3221.jpg

We survived yet another day...

Another day rich of learning opportunities, mostly linked to various individual projects presenting specific challenges.

Here are a few pictures.
_DSC3226.jpg _DSC3227.jpg

Demonstration on how to apply Turcite and Rulon:
_DSC3232.jpg _DSC3228.jpg _DSC3237.jpg

Tomorrow will be the last day and the program is quite busy.

Paolo

have you ever looked at my avatar?

View attachment 182075

that is actually was fashioned by my daughter after me, no quality assigned to the the subject but she won a national scholastic gold medal for it which she was going to receive at carnegie hall, but did not respond early enough to participate in the gala, so it was mailed to her.

no hair

dee
;-D

That is very cool dee!! You should be a proud papa she did a good job on that. Hope you guys learned a bunch. I was just funnin a bit no disrespect intended.

Brent

Back