What's new
What's new

Oil Dispensers For Old Lathes Oil Ports

Gorgoth209

Plastic
Looking for some oil dispensers for my F.E. Reed Lathe and there are many options.
What do you guys have installed?
How do you like them?
How difficult where they to install?

Thanks

I like the press in caps with the spring check ball. Easy to use with an oil can, keeps the chips out, last forever, low profile, and are dirt cheap. Just drill the right hole size and press them in. Reservoirs usually get in the way and flip cups always break/stay open/let some chips in. McMaster Carr should have whatever you need.

McMaster-Carr

No, im talking about the simple "oil fittings for un-threaded holes". With those you push your oil can nozzle up against it, pushing in the check ball, letting oil into the hole. When you pull your oil can back, the ball moves back up closing the hole. They would be suitable on the carriage and in areas with little room for the "dispensers" from your link. Those "dispensers" might work on your head stock for feeding the spindle bearings if there's room for them.

I hate those ball oilers.. They get every kind of dirt on them, and you can't clean them completely where the ball and hole meet. So when you squirt oil in, you probably carry in some swarf and grit.

Flip top oilers are a pain, and stick up, but they DO tend to keep dirt off a lot better. You can get the flip tops that just press in also.

Back