What's new
What's new

Oil Eater for getting Dykem off your hands.

dgfoster

Diamond
One of the well-known drawbacks to using Dykem Hi-spot Blue for scraping is staining of your hands. On a whim I tried using some "Oil Eater" brand laundry spray on my hands today. I was astonished at how much more effective it was at removing the Dykem from my hands compared to various hand soaps, Fast Orange hand cleaner, Dawn dishwashing detergent etc.

Not trying to ignite a debate on Dykem vs Canode here, just passing on what might be a useful observation. Worth a try if you don't enjoy 3 days of blue hands following a scraping session.

Maybe there are other favorite cleaning AIDS out there?

Denis

Is dykem remover any better than acetone? Is it just acetone?

While on the topic of hand cleaners, something I found amazingly effective for removing the black lines on you hands from grinder dust is wood glue. Soap and water will get the black powder off of your poms but not from the creases.
Simply rub carpenters wood glue in to your hands, wait a quarter hour then peal off the glue, the film will contain all the black dust.

Use Dykem remover, takes it off instantly and smells good to boot.

Yes, I have that product. It is not something I like to get on my skin any more than necessary as it contains mostly acetone and about 1/3 isopropyl alcohol. I think the Oil Eater works quite a bit better on the skin. The Dykem Remover works great on hard surfaces like granite or metal.

Denis

Is the laundry spray the same as the shop product? We use lots of oil eater, it's good stuff.
For hand cleaning, Pro Soap is even better. It even cleans off Block pipe sealer. The only thing I've found that it won't take off is POR 15 epoxy.

Mud,

I know of no way to be sure, but the MSDS seems to be the same for Oil Eater products and is remarkably benign as it is not harmful to aquatic animals, nearly zero VOC's, essentially no human toxicity, and is non-flammable.

Denis

That is what I do. Or another good product is Zep Cherry Bomb pumice hand cleaner. It works good on damn near anything that gets on your hands.

Warren leave the Dykem at home....I will bring Canode to the class....washes off with regular soap and water.

I use to use Dykem all the time and still think it is superior to Canode in printing, but I remember when I had the nickname as blue nose, my clothes were stained, etc. At GMC they banned Dykem from the building as to many pranksters played games with it. GM was involved in making Canode and I was tickled with it. I did not like using it at first, but after I discovered clean hands I figured out how to use it. Wearing industrial rubber gloves helps with the Dykem helps too. The reason I get my hands so dirty is I wipe the bluing with my hand before rubbing each rub so I feel the dirt that could be stuck to it and scratch the plate or part.
Rich

Last edited:
Not perfect, but isopropyl alcohol does a pretty good job of removing it.

And getting a layer of soap on your hands before starting also helps. Oil can work, too, get it on you first, then the Dykem comes off better.

I definitely agree Dykem work several times better. Too bad it's such a nuisance.

Butter oliveoil sunfloweroil all work great for removing paint and probbly Dykem too without getting chapped hands
Rub it in real good
Wipe it of and then wash with regular handsoap

Peter

Back