What's new
What's new

Old Lathe Questions

brims

Plastic
I've found an old lathe my dad purchased probably 35 years ago, might have been longer than that. It's got a good amount of rust but I'm hoping it won't be pointless to refurbish it. I couldn't find a manufacturer so I took some pictures in hopes I could get some information on this lathe. I've never run a lathe or anything more than a drill press but I want to learn. Thank you for your time.

20170405_083637.jpg20170405_083647.jpg20170405_083702.jpg20170405_083908.jpg20170405_083942.jpg

Ok, it appears it's an Atlas Crasftman; I typed "1970s lathe" into Google and my first hit looked familiar. There's a box with tools and some parts for the lathe, not sure if the chuck is in that box as I didn't dig through the whole thing. I didn't see a motor or associated parts or any of the belt or gear covers anywhere. I also didn't see the lead screw. With all that missing, would it be worth looking for a later model used lathe?

There's a box with a bunch of red parts that go to the Trucut, not really into dead tree carcasses.

I appologize. I didn't know what kind of lathe it was when I posted originally.

Considering that this lathe is far from complete and that brims asked for advises on a suitable lathe, we can possibly stir the thread in this new direction.

Here is a non-exhaustive list of popular brands of similarly-sized lathes suitable for an hobby shop:
South Bend
Logan
Sheldon
Clausing
LeBlond

If you consider expanding the search to sturdier, heavier, and larger lathes, you could add:
Cincinnati
Hendey
Monarch
...And many more brands.

As with most anything, you need to start with something well designed and properly built. However, with machinery that has seen a lot of professional use, conditions and wear are quite important too.

Paolo

Back