What's new
What's new

Older National HG-660 lathe high to low shift fork

guidojr

Plastic
hey everyone,
My shop has had a lathe sitting around for a while and I decided to finally get it up and running. The lathe, what I think is, a National HG-660 which has a thread pattern option. One day it stopped shifting from high to Low gear. We took the cover off the top and a piece that connects the selection shaft to the shift fork has broke. I've been searching for the possibility of finding a replacement part but keep coming up short. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for older lathe, national, or sterling parts or is it just best to figure out a way to fix it ourselves?

I see your in CA. Are you near Oakland? I have a good friend out there that I am sure would help you fix it. If you could take some good photo's and post them here I am sure we could help. With out pictures for the most part we guess.

I'm actually located down near San Louis Obispo. Here is a pic of the machine with the broken piece that pushes on the High/low shift fork. I'm trying to find either a new or used part to replace this broken one along with a replacement high/low selection shaft. IMG_4109.jpgIMG_4110.jpgIMG_4111.jpg

It looks like it's made out of bronze?. Seeing it isn't a precision part I would braze it up. Call around to local welders and see if they can do it. I can't imagine they would charge you $50.00. If the pin was in backward buy a taper reamer to clean up the holes and buy a new taper pin. That looks like a Taiwan made machine and an old one. I have never heard of that brand and finding a replacement part would be looking for a needle in a haystack. Rich

Back