What's new
What's new

Pallas V1 Vertical Mill

Humid

Plastic
I have recently bought a Pallas V1 which did not come with a pulley on the motor. If anyone has a V1 would you be able to tell me the sizes of both the motor and drive shaft pulley. I suspect the drive shaft pulley isn't the right one either. Mine is the V1 with a top speed of 1300RPM and a 1400RPM 3-Ph motor.

I intend to restore it next year but at this stage i would like to get it running.

Ive brought a copy of the manual from lathes.co.uk but it wont be here for a week or so and probably wont have that kind of information.

Humid,

I can't help with the original pulley sizes but it is fairly easy to figure it out.

Option 1; The easiest thing might be to use two pulleys the same size, your top speed would then be 1400 instead of 1300. Close enough?

Option 2: If you want to retain your driven pulley and also have the 1300 rpm top speed, measure your existing driven pulley diameter and multiply it by 0.928 (the ratio of 1300/1400) and it will give you the drive (motor) pulley size.

For example, if your existing driven pulley is 6" diameter, then your motor pulley would be 5.571". This would give you a top speed of 1300 rpm. I doubt you will find off the shelf pulleys with such a small difference.

It is worth noting however that measuring the outside diameter of a pulley is a bit dodgy. It is only accurate if the belt fits at the same depth on both pulleys. Pulley sizes are sometimes designated at the pitch circle diameter and sometimes as the outside diameter. It doesn't really matter as long as you use the same for both pulleys.

My apologies if you know all this and I am stating the obvious :)

Thanks Peter,

I was already thinking of going with option 1 like you suggested and now that i have discovered i happen to already have two pulleys the same size i will. Might just borrow an RPM gauge to see what its doing.

RC99, it was funny you said that about the Pallas i have a Whitney No. 6 Horizontal Mill that from my internet research looks to be hand crafted when the Roman Empire was at its full glory.

Back