What's new
What's new

PAMA outboard supports

collector

Hot Rolled
Hi guys
I am ready to set up the outboard supports on the PAMA boring mill. And looking for any suggestions or proper methods to set the two rails upon ether side. There around ten feet long. So I am gonna use some 1x8 fat bar drill and tap for the stud holes for the leveing screws. Put the studs in the flat bar lower the rails on to the studs. Then side the rails under the legs. Anchor the flat bar to the floor. Level the rails to the machine. Now this is were is the level good enough? So I would center the table and carriage bring up the rails to the wheel or rollers in the legs. The wheels rollers are on a eccentric shaft with .040 movement. So do you what the rollers touching or bearing on the rails ? Here is a picture of the machine and in action.
Thanks Collector

Attachments

• IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 74
Sounds like a plan. I would level the main bed first slide the supports under and put light pressure down and use a big cylinder square ( 10 x36") or 36" granite or steel blade square to square the column. Then set 2 levels (.0005"/12 or more accuracy) in middle of table so they read level, then feed the table out and watch the levels and if they show low as the feed out. Stop the feed and raise the leveling jack or eccentrics on the supports evenly. I will see if I can find this procedure on the net as G&L HBM and Lucas HBM had the supports too.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/floor-mill-leveling-setup-232657/

Back