What's new
What's new

Please Eyeball this Thread on the Deckel forum

bentley1930

Hot Rolled
Hi All,

I`ve just looked at this forum for the first time today and it seems very interesting.

I`ve been contributing to the Deckel Forum and a thread has been started where one of our members is attempting to scrape the slideways on his old FP1 but seems to be going about it in the wrong way.

Would you kindly look at this thread and give your opinions.

The title of the thread is "Rebuilding an old FP1 Deckel"

Thank you,

Alan

Hi All,

Richard, Agreed, everybody should try to learn something new every day but i`m not a rookie, I served a five year apprenticeship with MATRIX the Coventry Gauge and Tool ltd in the 1950`s and spent just over a year scraping the castings for the high precision thread grinders that they produced. Admittedly I haven`t done much scraping since then but I still remember clearly how to do it. Sadly i`ve lost the ability to do the "fish tailing" as we called it but I will try to get the skill back. In those days they did not use power scrapers and everything was scraped by hand. I expect levelling etc. is now done by lasers but the old skills are still valid.

So what are your conclusions about the way that John is tackling the scraping on his FP1? Is that the way you would recommend and is he proposing suspect procedures to the uninitiated?

Alan

I didn't read the whole thread...John who and he is scraping what?

I am not going to read that thread very often. If you need scraping advice, come here and write your questions that make sense, not what you just wrote.

I knew a guy who once told me he worked as a scraper for Fellows Gear Machine company and when it was time to prove it, he ended up admitting he worked in shipping and receiving.

I have been emailing and talking on here about teaching a class in UK next December. Will be teaching in Norway next month. If you live near Oslo, stop bye and say hello, the class has 13 in it now and it's full. But you can come and observe and talk to the students about your scraping days.

I did that in IL at the Bourn & Koch class, I met a older Journeyman that worked there scraping for 50 years. He started to say BIAX scrapers were no good. lol. I stood there and listened. He had no clue who I was and I worked for BIAX. I am sure the guys got a kick out of what he said even though I had taught them to use a BIAX. It was nice to expose the students to another opinion.

I also say and write "when you done learning, your dead". Plus if you say you never make mistakes, your a fool. Plus you "learn something new everyday." You worked there in the 1950's? Must be in your 70 or 80's?

Your scraping looks great, just the tests you made are not as accurate as they should be. There are several ways to skin a cat. You said .003" is good enough? What are you referring to? In this business I say .0002"/ 12" is good enough on regular machines and .00005"/12 is good enough on straight-edges and super precision machines. Rich

I didn't read the whole thread...John who and he is scraping what?

I am not going to read that thread very often. If you need scraping advice, come here and write your questions that make sense, not what you just wrote.

I knew a guy who once told me he worked as a scraper for Fellows Gear Machine company and when it was time to prove it, he ended up admitting he worked in shipping and receiving.

I have been emailing and talking on here about teaching a class in UK next December. Will be teaching in Norway next month. If you live near Oslo, stop bye and say hello, the class has 13 in it now and it's full. But you can come and observe and talk to the students about your scraping days.

I did that in IL at the Bourn & Koch class, I met a older Journeyman that worked there scraping for 50 years. He started to say BIAX scrapers were no good. lol. I stood there and listened. He had no clue who I was and I worked for BIAX. I am sure the guys got a kick out of what he said even though I had taught them to use a BIAX. It was nice to expose the students to another opinion.

I also say and write "when you done learning, your dead". Plus if you say you never make mistakes, your a fool. Plus you "learn something new everyday." You worked there in the 1950's? Must be in your 70 or 80's?

Your scraping looks great, just the tests you made are not as accurate as they should be. There are several ways to skin a cat. You said .003" is good enough? What are you referring to? In this business I say .0002"/ 12" is good enough on regular machines and .00005"/12 is good enough on straight-edges and super precision machines. Rich

What did the old guy have against BIAX ? I can't complain about the ones I've used.

Regards Tyrone.

The older guy at B&K had some of the biggest man hands I've ever seen. Rest of him was built on a different scale than a little guy like me as well. He may be able to hand scrape 9-5 for almost fifty years, but a light weight scraping newbie like me will happily use my Biax.

Lucky7

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...bourn-koch-machine-tool-builders-img_2809.jpg

He had never used them for finish work. He used a Blue one for roughing plus he had a marvelous Anderson power Scraper. I had one once.. What a beast. But he was set in his ways and as many of the old timers used to say " I get paid by the hour"..ha ha I was in a shop once and this old timer who my Dad had trained and he was 1/2 moon flaking by hand...beating his hand and I went over to my tool box and pulled out a power 1/2 moon flaker...took it over to him....He said "No thanks, I get paid by the hour".....

Back