What's new
What's new

Please identify this, and tell me if I'm screwed

peter.van.haren

Plastic
Just bought this Riken lathe as a restoration project, sight unseen. Quite rare I guess and info seems even more rare.
Need to find web info on it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
bc66f1d51335c68c4e1fc1a90ede511d.jpg
e5ee6147d71358757ba848bcbf2196e6.jpg
cabafb61e47eb28905574d8ba2f03db5.jpg
ec8ea7f656e22cb4427fe30b5ef9dea8.jpg
28261fe0d7ad77321ecc08b3a668e08d.jpg
71023083481884827f5b9ba2a42bbcb1.jpg
d81d7a96848927677f6f6bfda3e6703e.jpg
b887193271c0c53ba94898892d3c586a.jpg
0027f556cf586b261864b69f1ec3185e.jpg

Sent from my SM-T825Y using Tapatalk

I don't know what you mean by 'Am I screwed ?' unless there is something major missing? I would classify that as rare (extremely here in the USA) but I'm willing to bet it is very high quality. The one tag in Japanese states that it is built to Japanese machine tool builders standards, those would be the same used by the likes of Mazak, Okuma, Toyoda, etc. and most know of the quality. I have a Riken mill that was made around 1970, Iv'e seen pictures of one other that is supposed to be in the US but can't verify that nor do I know what happened to that company. What I do know is that the mill is as nice and as accurate than the German made mill it is a copy of and has some minor improvements that I think should have been on all of them.
If the machine is complete then a little common sense should get you by such as following the instructions for a Harrison AA variator drive that Tyrone spotted. Try to figure out what type of spindle bearings it has and choose a coarse of lubrication that insures long life. Just keep it simple as can be, it's a machine tool and we've been using them for over a century so it's been done by someone already.
Dan

" Tony's Lathes " internet site has information on that maker but not that particular lathe.

Regards Tyrone
Thanks Tyrone,
I'm in contact with Tony. He has never seen this model (RBL-30) of Riken lathe.
I have also written to Riken in Japan.
Delivery of the unit is tomorrow so will have a better understanding of my situation soon.
Peter

Thanks Tyrone,
I'm in contact with Tony. He has never seen this model (RBL-30) of Riken lathe.
Delivery of the unit is tomorrow so will have a better understanding of my situation soon.
Peter

I'm looking forward to seeing more photo's. It's a very interesting design.

Regards Tyrone.

"
"

Here's the reply from Riken....not really surprised but will ask them again, explaining I don't want to buy new.
----------------------------
This is Miki Suzuki of the Riken Steel Machine Tool Sales Department.

Always thank you very much.

It is BL - 30 we contacted,

We are very sorry but we are not currently producing overhaul.

Currently we sell it as RBL - 51.

We will send you the catalog attached, so please refer.

When purchasing, if you can contact us through a trading company in Japan we will correspond.

Above, thank you.
-----------------------------

I was thinking you could go to machinetools.com or SurplusRecord.com and post in the wanted side for free and ask for information on the machine.

Could word it " I own a Riken Model BL-30 and I am looking for an Instruction or Parts Manual" and see what happens. There is a huge European site for used machines too. Just can't recall it's name now. Good Luck, Rich

Currently we sell it as RBL - 51.

Plenty of information out there on the RBL-51 they refer to. Most of it is in the Japanese language, of course, but a photo is a photo.

Photos show more of an evolutionary heritage that revolutionary, so the often challenging needfuls such as spindle bearings might yet be common.

The newer one has less baggage hanging off the arse-end, so there is a high probability it as gone over to VFD control for its final-drive motor as well as relocating auxiliary and coolant pump to backside and TS end to free-up that rumble-seat structure.

You could luck-out and find at least a few current parts that are common to your older one. Even so, at present-day Japanese prices, you might be doing the DIY-unobtanium route in preference to the spend. If even it actually needs anything much, components-wise at all.

It needs a great deal OF it, but TLC alone may be enough.

The brochure they are sending is probably online if you want a look right away.

???????RBL-51?????????????????????????

That should help ID the market it was targeting. Certainly high-grade and full-featured, as already mentioned.

Functionality-set wise, looks Semi-Hardinge-toolroom-ish, mini-Cazeneuve HBX-ish (they had a factory IN Japan, so lots of exposure, no "secrets") , maybe even "big" Schaublin-ish?

That could make for a delightful all-around mount once cleaned-up!

If you were "screwed" at least it looks as if it wasn't a rape, and you may even eventually get happy smiles and repeat performances, if not breakfast in bed outta the deal!

:)

2 yen worth

That is a Kopp variator like i have on my Okuma lathe.View attachment 221481

They can certainly be maintained.

The similar hydraulically-operated system on an HBX-360 uses a light-metal hydraulic cylinder at one end, what appears to be Nylon at the other end, and is notorious for chronic low-level leakage. Where "low level" means more mess-making than show-stopping.

Even so, sinking a precision ground steel bushing into each, downsizing piston and seal to match, and the leakage just might go away for Donkey's Years. Others have had the hydraulics shed altogether in favour of an electrically powered jackscrew. As that also sheds the hydraulic pump, the lathe is less noisy.

JHolland went a step further with his "whisper" drive HBX conversion to VFD.

Plenty of options on this critter, starting with not changing it at all..

Very poor title but a nice looking machine..don't see a thread dial or a thread list on the machine..yes from here nobody knows what works and doesn't work..

With a proper title the thread could be used for reference..with a crap title it is just a to-be-lost lost conversation..

I don't know if one can change a title...

Very poor title but a nice looking machine..don't see a thread dial or a thread list on the machine..yes from here nobody knows what works and doesn't work..
Not even clear if it might have electric/electronic surfacing or threading. Or if that other motor is just an oddly-located coolant pump. I suspect it does drive a shaft of one kind or another.

In-between the RBL-51 as shown in Riken's brochure (or web-page cited previously), find amongst an image search on Google, one where a motor appears at the other end of leadscrew/surfacing shaft. Newer one has a box with controls there. It may have a motor in it as well as switches & c.

I don't read Japanese. We shall trust that the brochure Riken is sending to the OP is in English.

If push comes to shove, I have a relative by marriage, offices in Hong Kong & Taiwan, who's line of business is translating technical publications between and among Japanese, Chinese, and English. Cheaply, his team worketh not, however!

This... could get interesting!

And yes, Poster can change title if done early, moderator or super moderator otherwise. A PM to PracticalMan, the DB admin, might get 'er done.

With a proper title the thread could be used for reference..with a crap title it is just a to-be-lost lost conversation..

I don't know if one can change a title...
Thanks. Doesn't look like I can change the title. Sorry you don't like it.
As for a thread list, this is what it has.
Any thoughts?
e7d43654ae3d00fe93f8b8a85ae56228.jpg
093cc37bf412e217e4b4aad17c4905c5.jpg

I was thinking you could go to machinetools.com or SurplusRecord.com and post in the wanted side for free and ask for information on the machine.

Could word it " I own a Riken Model BL-30 and I am looking for an Instruction or Parts Manual" and see what happens. There is a huge European site for used machines too. Just can't recall it's name now. Good Luck, Rich
Just did it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Back