What's new
What's new

Powermatic 1150 VS polymer bushings

Eric_Gagnon

Plastic
I have an old Powermatic 1150 VS, the ancient green model. I have to replace the oilite infused bronze bushings for the variable speed pulleys and would like to move to polymer bushings. Anyone done this and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Eric
dca02b41640f6b559e24abaf0feb99ec.jpg

McMaster-Carr has some design information in there catalog. I should be able to figure out which nonmetallic bearing is right for your application. There are a lot of options, and I'm sure some will not be as good as bronze, but there should also be some that will work. Though maybe not a price that is cheaper.

Vince

I re-did the identical drill press using oilite bronze.

Some thing to consider, as the belt stretches on these Reaves drive arrangements there is a chance the belt may contact the bearing surface, in the extreme high or low range, when one pulley is fully expanded on the other fully closed.

I saw this first hand my Reaves pullies on my Powermatic 90 wood lathe.A correctly sized belt and proper tension should reduce this issue greatly.

Thanks for the direction guys, I'll look into the rulon materials. If anyone comes across specs please let me know!

Eric

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I re-did the identical drill press using oilite bronze.

Some thing to consider, as the belt stretches on these Reaves drive arrangements there is a chance the belt may contact the bearing surface, in the extreme high or low range, when one pulley is fully expanded on the other fully closed.

I saw this first hand my Reaves pullies on my Powermatic 90 wood lathe.A correctly sized belt and proper tension should reduce this issue greatly.
I know this is a rather old thread but I'm hoping you're still a member. How did you make the oilite bearings? Are they standard dimensions or did you have to machine them to size?

Back