What's new
What's new

Rebuilding and Scraping Classes in Germany & England

Richard King

Diamond
For all my friends and students, this will be the climax of the 2017 year. I plan on ending such a heavy schedule in 2018 and teach 1 week a month class as long as I am healthy after that. Several of my students are now teaching via You Tube and they have promised to keep passing on the Art of scraping after I am gone.
As I stated in the past there will be several monthly classes in the US in the first part of 2018. Keep an eye on Practical Machinist as the hosts or I will inform you of the dates.

Here is my schedule starting next week for a little over a month. I will be teaching 4 weeks of Machine Rebuilding / Scraping classes. 3 weeks in Germany for The manufacturers of the BIAX Power Scraper Schmid & Wezel GmbH of Maybachstrasse 2, D-75433 Maulbronn Germany.

Week 4 I will be teaching a group of professionals and hobbyists in the UK. Both countries classes are full. I will write about the classes and add some photo's of each location and the classes. There has been a revival all over the world in machine rebuilding and Scraping as Manufacturers have not discovered a better way to scrape then by a person using a tool.

18.11.2017 Leave MSP / arrival at Frankfurt Airport and Transfer to hotel:
In Stuttgart City
You will stay in the same hotel with Stefan Gotteswinter. Mr. Gotteswinter will arrive on November 19. He will take you to the training room and bring you back again in the evening. (Stefan is a friend and student and will be my teaching assistant and Interpreter on week 1. He has some Great You Tube shows to on scraping, inspection and machining)

19.11.2017 free day

20.11.2017 5 Days of training at: Hobbyhimmel, Siemensstrasse 140 in 70469 Stuttgart, (HOBBYHIMMEL)
25.11.2017 free day (you stay in Stuttgart)
26.11.2017 free day, in the afternoon pick up by Thomas Albiez and transfer to hotel in Siegen, (Thomas is also a friend, former student and will also be assisting
me and be my Interpreter week 2 and 3)
27.11.2017 5 days of training at: Horst Rottler Maschinenbau GmbH, Hauptstrasse 39, D-57555 Mudersbach (Rottler Maschinenbau - Startseite)
02.12.2017 free day (you stay in Siegen)
03.12.2017 free day, in the afternoon pick up by Thomas Albiez and transfer to hotel in Kamen,

04.12.2017 5 days of training at: Belfor DeHaDe GmbH, Wittekindstraße 99, 59075 Hamm (BELFOR DeHaDe) // Contact: Mr. Lademann

09.12.2017 check out and transfer to Düsseldorf Airport - flying to London England to teach 5 day class 12.12.2017

More info on UK in a few days. Rich

Last edited:
I may have a couple fitters at my shop in Sheffield who would be interested if you would do the U.K. class in that neck of the woods.

Andrew (the host) and myself (the organiser) have been busy today building sturdy benches for the UK class. They are a bit 'agricultural' but you could almost park that forklift one them :)

benches.jpg

These ones we built 32" tall, a bit lower than a standard bench, the other two benches are 4" taller.

The UK class is in Sedlescombe East Sussex and starts on December 12th. It's been full for months with people still asking for a place.

I'm taking a new route round trip to Europe Minneapolis to Reykjavik Iceland. Then flying to UK but again flying from UK to Iceland then home. I have always wanted to go there. If I'm not to tired after the classes,I may stop and do some sight-seeing, see if there is any Viking History museums like I saw in Oslo where they have Viking ships on display.
Biax in Germany told me 2 students are flying in from India to take the first class and the majority of the class students will be professional rebuilders / builders. I'll try to take several pictures and I wouldn't doubt Stefan will be doing a You Tube show too. :-) Rich
Leaving Friday :-)

Got permission to film in the shop we are :)

See you on sunday!

Stefan

I checked out you latest You Tube show. I like the way you included class info in it. Your going to be more then a translator, your going to help teach the class too, as your one of the top 10 in 30+ years of classes who took the class. One thing...leave the Renz at home...LOL...BIAX is sponsoring the class and I doubt they would like to see you using it...lol
I have my tools packed and today I pack my other suitcase and will be boarding the plane around 18:30. See you there! Rich

Well I started on the path of learning to scrape and everything got in the way. I for one will be very interested in a UK or Europe class in 2018.

I made it. Sitting in hotel is is in Stuttgart City. The flight on Icelandair was great and short. Tomorrow Fillip from BIAX is coming over and taking 4 of us staying here out for lunch. As far as more classes in 2018. I'll do it in the fall as I plan on taking next summer off again. Let's see if we can do it farther north. Rich

I have the table and saddle of my small Lip515 surface grinder with me - While the table ways are not terrible, they are not as nice as I wish they would be. Started to scrape them today, after I scraped the side-surface of a camelback to get down onto the flat part of the table ways (Its below the surounding surfaces).
IMG_8559.jpg

After step scraping it once, it came in pretty close very fast:
IMG_8563.jpg

Today, after the class ended, four of us got back into the shop, did some more work and also brought in a small shaper that one of the students has with him as a project, a Gastl RG200
IMG_8565.jpg

And a Schaublin 70:
IMG_8567.jpg

Stefan

Stefan has been a great help. He is super nice guy too. The cass has 1 Journeymen machine builder, 1 Service tech for a new machine builder, 2 apprentices from a new machine builder, 2 Hobbyists, 2 Journeymen Machinists including Stefan, 2 Biax Reps, One from Germany and one from India who told me last night they are planing on inviting me to teach in India next year or 2019.

I will also try to download some pictures later.

Had another great 2nd and 3rd day here in Stuttgart. All 10 of the guys can now hand and power scrape to 20 PPI. Many have opted to keep scraping with the power scraper to 35 to40 PPI. 9 of them will be working on various projects now, 12 x 12 inch surface plate, a new slide off a deep drilling machine that looks like the Z axis boxed way slide, a compound off a 24" shaper, a mini 6" shaper (slides, a 6' 12 surface grinder table and saddle, scraping Nulon and Turcite 4" x 4" plates, an angle block, 2 lathe compounds, scraping the bed and head, Tail Stock and cross-slide of a Schaublin 70 lathe, and a few other things. I am having issues again posting pictures and when I have time over the weekend I will try again. (new cellphone and transfer to my PC is a pain). Tomorrow we will leveland align a Colchester lathe, do the 2 collar test, tail-stock alignment, straighter, scrape and test a tapered gib, glue and scrape rulon (Tomorrow glue, scrape Friday) Test a Deckel Mill, etc. Rich

Finished today (Friday) and we were all tired especially Stefan 1 and 2, Christofor and our host Friedemann who stayed until the wee hours of the night scraping their projects. I want to thank everyone for coming to the 4 TH class I have taught in Germany in the past 3 years. We talked about doing another series of classes over here in 2018 or 2019.
This is in Germany and I will ask Friedemann to come and say something as he is fluent in English and when Stefan was occupied scraping he helped translate. HOBBYHIMMEL Werkbereiche - HOBBYHIMMEL

It's a GREAT way to teach the public "how to" and keep all the trades going. I have 2 days of rest and then will teach another class up near Frankford. Fillip of BIAX told mewe will have 2 Russian students who are bringing their own translator .. Hopefully it is from English to Russian and not from German as that extra step will take time out of the fun I have when teaching. (English to German, German to Russian)

Christofer is a perfectionists and he has scraped his shaper to 40 PPI / .0001/12"...a bit of over kill...LOL Stefan will add several pic's and do a new You Tube show soon of this fun class. WE also had 1 student Sampson and his co-worker (observe) take 4 days of the class. He is a sales Rep for Biax in India for Sivenara Engineer Group in Bangalore He did a fine job and was a good sport. More from me later. Rich

.. Hopefully it is from English to Russian and not from German as that extra step will take time out of the fun I have when teaching. (English to German, German to Russian)

More from me later. Rich

You may have heard the story a few years ago about the programmers working on computer language translation. They thought they had the English-Russian and Russian-English modules working satisfactorily so they thought they'd give it something in English to change to Russian, then feed the result back into English to see how it compared.

To test it, they fed it the quote, "The spirit is indeed willing but the flesh is weak" (Matthew26:41) So the computer churned a while and printed out the quote it got back after feeding through "The wine is delicious but the meat is spoiled."

I trust the human beings will do better.

Made it to Seiben....long drive in rain and the roads were black. The GPS doesn't work very good out here and we took the scenic route, stopped at the wrong hotel at 22:30, then back tracked 12 KM am checked in to the right Hotel. I am finally unpacked and in bed at 1:15. Have the alarm set for 6:30 ....oooye vey....lol....Should be an interesting day 1. Have to have some Stefan style of coffee :-) Will fill you in tomorrow night. Rich

PS: Chris remember .0002" / 12" and 20 PPI with a 1/8" stroke for your shaper.

It was a fun class for sure! Translating and assisting Richard was a learning experience too.

Just as explaining the use of the Kingway Alignment Tool on the table of my surfacegrinder:IMG_8620.jpg

(I moved later to a heavy cast iron table, as the wooden bar moved to much to give a reliable reading with the level.)

It was a great group of people and a great location.

Stefan

Today I finished (Friday 12/1) the Modersbbach class (close to Siegen Germany) at www.rottler-maschinenbau.de/download.html - Translator

Students Lukas from Rottler, Professional Machine Rebuilders; Franz and Stefan Luftinger from Austria, Michael from Sebastian Dornhöfer GmbH CNC Machine Tools & Service , 2 hobby machinists: Arnold from Holland and Luke from Switzerland, Anton, Victor and Julia (their translator) who were from Russia their factory http://lssp.ru/en/catalog/. Their company manufactures Surface and Cylindrical Grinders, they only handscraped to 12 PPI before the class, Michael a Technical School Teacher from Germany. We had a great class inside Rottler who rebuilds and retrofits large CNC machines around the world. They have 2 machines in Sandusky Ohio (small world). I took several pictures and will add them later. Leaving for Hamm Germany for 1 more week on Sunday. Rich

Last edited:

Back