What's new
What's new

Relieving a lathe bed to increase swing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hbjj

Cast Iron
Shop owner says cut it so thought I would document the carnage for your amusement
20171127_092655.jpg20171127_094042.jpg
This is happening as I type this so more to come...

I saw a big Pacemaker hacked out in the middle with a carbon arc setup once. They used it for spray welding steam turbines, no actual machining.

It's a 27" American
She is tired though clutch adjustment is maxed out and it'll only pull a 10ish horsepower cut
Spindle bearings make a nice wave pattern that you can feel especially on a facing cut
After we cut it should swing about 34 in20171127_105548.jpg20171127_110237.jpg

Like watching an accident about to happen. You want to close your eyes but just can't.

Then of course it's burned in like that whale at the beach in a bikini you can't un-see.

All cut now some grinding and deburring wipe it down and she'll be making chips in an hour or so
20171127_113316.jpg20171127_114512.jpg
So to be clear this is not how I would do it if I have the time but owner says hurry up This Is What You Get

Eh.... it's the T/S ways, up where they are not used. Aside from stress relieving issues, and considering the other comments, no big deal. I probably would not do that as a first choice myself, but... it's really not ruining a tool.

I'm worried about what stress are contained within the bed frame, simply cutting will relies the stress and cause the bed to bend upwards. Either ruining the machines accuracy or possibly fixing all the wear near the head stock.

Doubt that cut will warp anything, but seeing all the grinding schumtz on the bed makes me think accuracy is not going to be the strong point of this machine for long

Hate to see it, but nearly all my the big lathes I've got (mostly old junk), have had that done do them.

From the 24" Pacemaker to 40" Hendey.

You know its classy when angle grinders and porta-bands are involved.....

It's a 27" American
She is tired though clutch adjustment is maxed out and it'll only pull a 10ish horsepower cut
Spindle bearings make a nice wave pattern that you can feel especially on a facing cut
After we cut it should swing about 34 inView attachment 213886View attachment 213887

It is too late now, but you could have just cut the ears off the pipe, turn it and weld it back.That would have been my choice. Since she already is wobbly, making her take bigger diameters will make her fail faster :(, I hate to see good old iron being abused.

dee
;-D

I wouldn't expect warping to exhibit from the cutting that was done. And if there was, it would just be a guess which way things could go.

IF you assume compression stresses in the ground ways that were removed (a wild guess), then you might also speculate that an upward bow of the bed would somewhat compensate for the increased wear on the ways near the headstock.

I can speculate with the best of them. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back