What's new
What's new

Republic 14x40

Nadobill

Plastic
Hello,
Long time lurker. Forst time poster. I have been looking for a fixer upper lathe for a long time and recently acquired a 1974 republic 14x40 . It needs alot of work which is most of the fun right? Was wondering if anyone out there had A closeup pic of the threading chart. It appears to have been silkscreened or printed on to a flat aluminium sheet and half the bottom is faded away. I have Google searched for images and have found a few, but nothing close enough to read, or print out. Any ideas on how to reprint or darken the chart somehow?? I had posted this in the general forum. Think maybe this area might be more apropriate
Thanks,
Bill
1002171430.jpg

I don't even bother looking at dial chart now that I know how it real works. Simply measure how far the cadge traverses to move one tick mark with a stationary lead screw and then figure out if the numbers are divisible.

For example a mid size lathe may have 1/2 inch of travel per tick on a 8 position dial for a total of 4 inches per revolution.
Then you know that all even tpi will work on the whole inch or half, odd numbers work on only the whole inch, and course threads with a half pitch will require two inches of travel to align.

I forgot: Nowadays they seem do it digital (oil and solvent resistant), so much less elaborate as they did it in the past with screen printing and therefore cheaper.

^ that 2nd pic is all you need....you,can read the tpi settings and the feeds in the 4 and 8 settings and from that deduce the apron reduction is 9.124
4 tpi= .250"/rev
.250"divided by 9.124= .0234" feed (as on the chart)

Gives it a .0005"ish feed in the 224 tpi setting...dag!!

Someone better check me! :)

Sorry for the late reply, I thought I would get a notice if someone responded. Yes I had found that pic , however I don't think the quality is there for a reprint. I even ones a few people from the site that said they had the same lathe and got no response. What what what???? Your blowing my mind here with the math. Your saying I can just do math that will tell me which position to place the thread selectors?

Yes , I have been in contact with them. They seemed a bit puzzled by my model number and serial. I have sent them pictures. And dimentions of lathe and threading chart. Have not heard anything as of yet. Not hopeful....

I'm also looking for a steady rest to complete the package. If anyone knows where to source something like that I'd appreciate the info. The one for the lathe is prob sitting in the back corner of some abandoned machine shop in Seattle somewhere I'm sure. Its a shame so many accessories just get left behind and lost forever.
Here are more pics of the tear down.
1018171353a.jpg1013171518c.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, you can do a little math.

The imperial side is easy, you can read all the tpi settings.

just convert the TPI to LEAD..
ie- 1 divided by 4= .250" thus the lead is .250"
then convert the lead to FEED including the apron gearing reduction.
You can see on the chart the corresponding feed setting in the 4tpi position is.0234" so you divide the lead(.250") by the feed (.250"/.0234") and you get 9.124- that is the reduction of the apron gearing and it will be constant regardless of imperial or metric settings.

for metric because the setting IS the lead take for instance 4mm pitch and covert it to inches.
4mm=.157"
so divide .157" by 9.124 and you get .0172mm- again as can be seen on the chart(yes, it seems silly they are giving the feed in inches on the metric pitches, but that's what they are doing nonetheless.

You can read most of it so not too much to do and once you have the info collected you can contact someone like member jkull and have a beautiful new plate produced that is way more readable than the original.

I take it that it is standard for the aprons reduction to be the same weather being driven by the lead screw or the power feed and that those two items turn at the same rate based on the quick change settings?

Back