What's new
What's new

restoring and scraping a small surface grinder

Andrew Wilding

Aluminum
Hi all,
I thought that you may be interested in my youtube series restoring and scraping a Herbert Junior surface grinder. This is an old (60's?) british machine that is ideal for the small shop where surface grinding is an infrequent activity.

I have no formal training in machine scraping and alignment, so please take it easy on me! I have however rescraped a small mill and a tool and cuter grinder so i have some idea what I am doing.

This is the first installment where I scrape the column of the machine.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you there.

I think the youtube guy This Old Tony rescraped a similar grinder. He eventually got it where he wanted it.

Big problem with the little Herberts was that lubrication was rarely, if ever, applied by the users. Having said that, I'd be more worried about the table and knee than the column to knee wear. They are a lovely little grinder when set up right and can do a fair bit of (lathe) tool&cutter grinding as well as the smaller surface grinding. If you can arrange some dust extraction on the left-hand side, your lungs will thank you.

I tried to purchase a scrap Herbert Junior from work a dozen years back and after three months, got an invoice for £75 + 15%VAT for a grinder. I thought that was a reasonable price. Trouble is that the works manager had quoted me for an 8"x24" J&S 1400, not the Herbert I was originally after... I had to re-design my workshop to fit the larger machine in!

I tried to purchase a scrap Herbert Junior from work a dozen years back and after three months, got an invoice for £75 + 15%VAT for a grinder. I thought that was a reasonable price. Trouble is that the works manager had quoted me for an 8"x24" J&S 1400, not the Herbert I was originally after... I had to re-design my workshop to fit the larger machine in!

Stuff happens. I'm glad you were able to readjust your expectations, and even without a counselor's help.

Mark,
The machine has the single shot lubricator, so the rest of the ways are ok. I think the bellows failed and let grit into the column-knee interface.

The JS is a bit of an upgrade, however if the same think happened to me I would have to ditch an existing machine as the Herbert is about all I can fit in now! I have a shop tour on youtube if you want to see what I mean.

In this latest episode I scrape the carriage (the bit between the knee and the table). This is the most tricky of the alignment job on the grinder as I had to align a dovetail way to a double vee way. Requires some thinking and some interesting measuring tooling.

Back