What's new
What's new

Richard, So It looks like Georgia is getting Hot.....

dcsipo

Diamond
Richard those guys will video the crap out of ya, Are you ready to become a Youtuber? Who do you have in that class? John Sanders on NYC CNC is all giddy about having his parallels, and Keith Rucker is all about getting surface plates super flat, What is with all the hoopla and pageantry? :)?

One word of advise, whatever you do DO NOT LET THEM TAKE YOU CAMPING! Them fellas have all kinda video gear.

Seriously, Quite a crowd you are taking on, wanna know more how it is going :)

dee
;-D

Last edited:
I made it here....have to share what happened yesterday at home before coming...almost had to cancel the class...or find a teacher to take my place. The short version is ...I got a call from my wife around 1:30 PM...(She takes a bus and I have never been to her work place...to come pick her up) ... Said she thought she was having a heart attack> I told her to hang up and call 911 or have her boss do it. they called an ambulance that took her to a hospital... It ended up being an insulin issue, Thank God........ So I finished packing at 1 AM...was up at 6AM...on the plane at 9AM..landed at 12:30...and drove here...took about 4 hours. Keith has a beautiful shop.

I already talked to them about the video's. Paying for the class does not mean they can film me giving away all my trade secrets. What they do on their own time after the class is non of my business! I don't mind some, but until I retire completely I will guard and protect my business. Rich

Richard,
I am not trying to tell you how to run your business, but...
You should get some of those youtube stars to film your class and help you get set up on youtube.
With one of the accounts that people donate money to get access to the class videos the whole thing could MAKE you money.
At this point I don't even have a computer that can play a cd or a dvd player any more so buying a disk does not do me much good.
I will probably never get a chance to take a class from you, but I would pay to see good high quality video online.

Josh

I made it here....have to share what happened yesterday at home before coming...almost had to cancel the class...or find a teacher to take my place. The short version is ...I got a call from my wife around 1:30 PM...(She takes a bus and I have never been to her work place...to come pick her up) ... Said she thought she was having a heart attack> I told her to hang up and call 911 or have her boss do it. they called an ambulance that took her to a hospital... It ended up being an insulin issue, Thank God........ So I finished packing at 1 AM...was up at 6AM...on the plane at 9AM..landed at 12:30...and drove here...took about 4 hours. Keith has a beautiful shop.

I already talked to them about the video's. Paying for the class does not mean they can film me giving away all my trade secrets. What they do on their own time after the class is non of my business! I don't mind some, but until I retire completely I will guard and protect my business. Rich

Sucks getting old. Give my best to the lady of the house hope she monitors her levels better!

It was funny watching Sanders

But you will straighten them out in more than one way. Seriously talk to them and they can help you get into the Youtuber business. may keep you from flying all over the world and still teach people the tricks of the trade for money.

dee
;-D

Aw shucks Rich, you already told all you know here on PM, you just don't want a certain joke or two to be seen or heard on film! :-)

Seriously now... Bit of a scare there for you, I am glad to hear your wife is OK.

Sucks getting old. Give my best to the lady of the house hope she monitors her levels better!

It was funny watching Sanders

But you will straighten them out in more than one way. Seriously talk to them and they can help you get into the Youtuber business. may keep you from flying all over the world and still teach people the tricks of the trade for money.

dee
;-D
I would be willing to clean up a corner of my shop so Rich could have an area to film his videos.

I wonder how many of these hobby guys ever actually scrape anything after they learn how tedious and physically demanding it is...

I wonder how many of these hobby guys ever actually scrape anything after they learn how tedious and physically demanding it is...

You got your finger on one problem...time. Holding down a day job and having a family leaves not much time in the shop. So there, you had to rub it in, right? But i have a machine waiting for fixin', and as soon as i get a bit of warmth in the garage i am jumping on that. In the meantime try to get the tools together, slowly.

dee
;-D

Sunday (today) most have finished learning how to hand and power scrape and have or will begin their personal projects. Tom has a 1943 South Bend Compound, Lance has a EE lathe saddle and cross slide, several have straight-edges, angle blocks, surface plates, etc.

Several of these guys are professional machinists, John told me yesterday he has 10 CNC VMC's, Cameron is an Mech. Engineer and is a trained machinist, Adam (Abomb)is a 3rd generation machinist that run a job shop, I can't remember everyone's names now, but Neil was a technical school instructor and I believe he worked for NASA, Keith and Lance both have Doctorate degree's, possibly more of the guys too. Monday we are going to https://www.abac.edu/museum/attractions where Keith is a volunteer and runs many of the belt driven machines.

He built his shop with the help of his friends. The 12 x 12" timber came off his property and he sawed and dried them at the museums sawmill. These guys are far from hobbyists. Edgar who has volunteered to be my assistant has taken 3 classes now and has his own company servicing GE Turbine's on board navy subs, power plants and paper mills around the world. He is a retired electrical engineer from GE plus like my friend Jeff Thiele who has taken 2 classes have machine shops on their property and make cool stuff. Jeff makes rifle scopes.(he isn't in this class)

Oh the upcoming Rockford class is full now, So is the Texas class or maybe have room for 1 more. The Denmark and Norway classes I believe are full too. I will try to add some pictures soon. It is a GREAT class and they are doing super. The guys are doing movies that will be posted on their sites. They are respecting my wishes on the stuff they are filming. I don't plan on doing a you tube as some have suggested, Being a star (LOL) in students shows is good for me and I am leaving it up to my kids (students) to carry on . A book possibly and a fishing pole are my future. More later. Rich

Thanks for the Instagram shares!
It's been great getting to take Richards class! Learning so much from him!

Repeat-o-meter? You guys came prepared :). I hope to see on your channels reflections on what you learned. Richard is an incredible source of knowledge. You get a lot of it if you know how to tap into it :). BTW, flaking looks awesome :)

dee
;-D

Day 3 finished and everyone is working on their projects. Have to thank Edgar for helping, he is a jewel of a guy and has a lot of cool tools like his repeat-a-meter.

GA Class 2017.2.2.jpgGA Class 2017.1.2.jpgGA Class 2017.1.6.jpgGA Class 2017.2.4.jpgGA Class 2017.3.1.jpg

Last edited:
Sunday (today) most have finished learning how to hand and power scrape and have or will begin their personal projects. Tom has a 1943 South Bend Compound, Lance has a EE lathe saddle and cross slide, several have straight-edges, angle blocks, surface plates, etc.

Several of these guys are professional machinists, John told me yesterday he has 10 CNC VMC's, Cameron is an Mech. Engineer and is a trained machinist, Adam (Abomb)is a 3rd generation machinist that run a job shop, I can't remember everyone's names now, but Neil was a technical school instructor and I believe he worked for NASA, Keith and Lance both have Doctorate degree's, possibly more of the guys too. Monday we are going to https://www.abac.edu/museum/attractions where Keith is a volunteer and runs many of the belt driven machines.

He built his shop with the help of his friends. The 12 x 12" timber came off his property and he sawed and dried them at the museums sawmill. These guys are far from hobbyists. Edgar who has volunteered to be my assistant has taken 3 classes now and has his own company servicing GE Turbine's on board navy subs, power plants and paper mills around the world. He is a retired electrical engineer from GE plus like my friend Jeff Thiele who has taken 2 classes have machine shops on their property and make cool stuff. Jeff makes rifle scopes.(he isn't in this class)

Oh the upcoming Rockford class is full now, So is the Texas class or maybe have room for 1 more. The Denmark and Norway classes I believe are full too. I will try to add some pictures soon. It is a GREAT class and they are doing super. The guys are doing movies that will be posted on their sites. They are respecting my wishes on the stuff they are filming. I don't plan on doing a you tube as some have suggested, Being a star (LOL) in students shows is good for me and I am leaving it up to my kids (students) to carry on . A book possibly and a fishing pole are my future. More later. Rich

Sounds like a SUPER bunch of guys! I have had fun watching the posts on instagram.

Can you contribute to the thread or just looking for free advertisement?

I agree with you, regarding the policies, but the catalog looks interesting :). But I would ask him to say something about how they make their products, what technics they use and how they market worldwide. What is in the catalog looks very respectable, and honestly i have not seen any sources of 18 foot tables.

dee
;-D

Back